Register

question about meeting monthly donation goal

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,731.00

question about meeting monthly donation goal

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rainey » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:20 pm

When I first started lurking on here a couple years ago it was right after RT had needed to make some changes and needed more financial support. I remember seeing posts then about how well members had responded and seeing the monthly goals exceeded so I didn't donate for a while. But lately I've been thinking about the forum--how much help its been to me since we started this whole adventure of raising rabbits for meat, how diligent the admins and mods are about keeping the peace and dealing with spammers. And over time I notice that some months the donation goal is exceeded and sometimes it isn't met. But I lose track of how many times it goes one way and how often the other and each month just starts over with its own goal. So I wonder whether over the course of the year the donations are sufficient to meet the costs and when they aren't who ends up covering the deficit and whether there could be some longer range reporting of how we're doing.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Re: question about meeting monthly donation goal

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 pm

That's an excellent question, Rainey!

For a while, MidnightCoder and MaggieJ carried most of the cost of the site. There was a small sidebar donation button that got a little action, but many members never even saw it.

Eventually, RT grew enough that our host began complaining, even though we weren't exceeding our allowance. MC tried another host, but that didn't work out either. Realizing that the only option was to move the site to a better host with room to grow, requiring more money than they could afford, he quickly threw up a donation goal bar and started shopping. He had to raise the goal, but we ended up with a great new host, lots of breathing room, and a complete redesign.

Our wonderful members rose to the occasion, as you remember. After a while, we landed some advertising that covered expenses for a good while. And the donation goal bar has stuck, but changed to a monthly goal. I know that we were looking to build up a reserve against any more sudden needs -- host changes, donation shortfalls, etc.

But as far as how the whole thing is panning out over time? I don't know, and I will ask. :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Good question! That would be interesting to know...

I know the only other forum I have ever really been a member at, and was really a "home" for myself and a number of other ladies around the world, was forced to shut down due to lack of finances (traffic had really slowed so advertisers had pulled out) and we had very little notice... 8 years of my parenting history, love and tears, were gone. It sounds dramatic, but it really was that big of a hit. We transferred over to another site, but it's just not the same. One of the members lost all 3 of her children and her father just before it happened and I feel like that really added salt to the wound because I know she had a lot of memories logged on their as well, with no time or mental/emotional capacity to do anything about it.

Anyway, I am rambling, but I just wanted to show others how important finances can be for some forums and it's members.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,875.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Truckinguy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 am

I donated a while ago but I now notice that the only option is paypal which I have an account but there is no money in it and I don't use it. Is there another way to donate that I missed?

This is a great forum and I would really like to do my part to ensure it is viable and long lasting.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:00 am

The February goal is still up and at 53%, so I guess Midnight Coder has to reset it manually every month. :?

I believe we originally had a "yearly goal" but the monthly system works better because the relatively small dollar amount seems so much more attainable than the $900 figure for twelve months.

Rainey wrote:But lately I've been thinking about the forum--how much help its been to me since we started this whole adventure of raising rabbits for meat

I was so happy when I was finally able to afford to make a donation to RabbitTalk, after a particularly good month of Chewzit sales. Funny that the rabbit inspired business made it possible to pay back a little of what I gained from RT!

Rainey wrote:how diligent the admins and mods are about keeping the peace and dealing with spammers

As for keeping the peace- we rarely have to do much of anything- we have such a wonderful group of members that there are rarely any problems at all. :D

Thanks to our wonderful Midnight Coder, the spam barrage has come to a screeching halt! :P

heritage wrote:I know the only other forum I have ever really been a member at, and was really a "home" for myself and a number of other ladies around the world, was forced to shut down due to lack of finances (traffic had really slowed so advertisers had pulled out) and we had very little notice... 8 years of my parenting history, love and tears, were gone. It sounds dramatic, but it really was that big of a hit.

YIKES!!! I would be so bereft if that happened to RabbitTalk! Truly, I feel like it is an extended family here.

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost all of those written memories, and the camaraderie of your friends there.

Truckinguy wrote:I donated a while ago but I now notice that the only option is paypal which I have an account but there is no money in it and I don't use it. Is there another way to donate that I missed?

My understanding of PayPal is that you don't need to have an account with them at all- they will process any credit card transaction.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:14 am

heritage wrote:Anyway, I am rambling, but I just wanted to show others how important finances can be for some forums and it's members.

That is awful. :( I certainly understand wanting to make sure something similar isn't going to happen to RT.

This happened to my husband once, with a model train forum. If I recall correctly, I was able to pull most of his tutorials off of it with Google Archives, even though the site had disappeared. You may be able to do something similar.

Truckinguy wrote:Is there another way to donate that I missed?

I will ask. :)
- James Madison

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby alforddm » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I had that happen to a horse color genetics forum as well. That is why I stepped in and made the color genetics site that I have now. Facebook groups create alot of competition for forums now and although I'm a member of quite a few groups, I don't really care for the format. It just seems to me that it makes it so much harder to sort out information. In forum setting, you can get a feel for the members that know their stuff but in a facebook group is impossible to know if your really getting good advice. Plus, it's hard to find information on a certain topic.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 pm

alforddm wrote: Facebook groups create alot of competition for forums now and although I'm a member of quite a few groups, I don't really care for the format. It just seems to me that it makes it so much harder to sort out information.

I completely agree! I LOVE the search function that we have here. It makes it so much easier to access information!

alforddm wrote:In forum setting, you can get a feel for the members that know their stuff but in a facebook group is impossible to know if your really getting good advice.

That is so true- I recognize a few people who post on FaceBook, but it is nothing like here. There are just far too many people in so many of the groups to keep them all sorted out.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
Homer

BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby akane » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:47 pm

I would prefer if I could get the opinions of the facebook groups onto forums. The wide variety of people and the lack of build up of posts means it's hard for one opinion to dominate the group. A major problem with some forums. Groups still manage to ban a few things but unless someone severely breaks the rules to get kicked out their opinion is still there. Unless it's an admin that kicks everyone at the slightest disagreement but then the group tends to die and there are always people ready to make a competing group because it's so simple. It would be nice if we could get all that info sorted and saved in a forum format while maintaining the benefits of the wide variety of people that come across the groups.

Until we get some things caught up on from when my husband had no job and pay off some other things I am only budgeted $100 for animal expenses past basic monthly things like bags of pellets and bedding so I rarely have much extra a month. I did donate to and moderate a small section of a fish forum once. I was so sad to find it had died while I was not keeping fish. I can't find an equivalent in knowledge. I had another forum die because the topic is harmless but frowned on by part of society and the person had to maintain their own servers in their home. It got too expensive for the small member base to donate.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 pm

I think FB is what killed the other forum I was on... and since DH and I don't do FB, I got left behind :( There are a handful that switched to the new site, but it's not the same.

I need to go ahead and do a little... as much as I am on here anymore. I can guarantee you RT has saved me tons of money in losses just by making me aware of illness and what to look for when buying (or just not buying anymore for risk of bringing something in, which is just about where I am at). :money: I lost a couple just as I was finding my way here, but at least was able to recognize the issue soon enough for it to not be a total disaster.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,731.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Rainey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Miss M wrote:That's an excellent question, Rainey!

But as far as how the whole thing is panning out over time? I don't know, and I will ask. :)

I always was seen as obnoxiously persistent with my questions and RT does seem in some ways like a family (or a village?) so I'm going to ask again. How are we doing over the longer term about meeting the budget this family needs to keep together? I think I remember that the first month of the year more than met the goal and the next 2 months fell short and then this month the goal is met before the month is half over. But I still don't know if we're a bit ahead :) or a bit behind :( or just breaking even.

I'm remembering a boy who was coming to our farm each week in hope of giving him some positive experiences to help him deal with a difficult home situation. He asked something that I wasn't sure how to answer and while I was trying to figure out what I could say that would be helpful he sighed and said, "That's ok. It's probably counterventionality--and that means it isn't my business."

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
Miss M

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,212.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Homer » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:35 am

Truckinguy wrote:I donated a while ago but I now notice that the only option is paypal which I have an account but there is no money in it and I don't use it. Is there another way to donate that I missed?

This is a great forum and I would really like to do my part to ensure it is viable and long lasting.

Send a PM to MaggieJ or midnight coder and ask for a mailing address. Send'm a check.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 890.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Stephanie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:31 pm

I use Paypal, but don't put any money in it. I have a debit card tied to it. So, it's essentially a safer way to use a credit/debit card online.

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Miss M » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Rainey wrote:I always was seen as obnoxiously persistent with my questions and RT does seem in some ways like a family (or a village?) so I'm going to ask again. How are we doing over the longer term about meeting the budget this family needs to keep together? I think I remember that the first month of the year more than met the goal and the next 2 months fell short and then this month the goal is met before the month is half over. But I still don't know if we're a bit ahead :) or a bit behind :( or just breaking even.

I'm remembering a boy who was coming to our farm each week in hope of giving him some positive experiences to help him deal with a difficult home situation. He asked something that I wasn't sure how to answer and while I was trying to figure out what I could say that would be helpful he sighed and said, "That's ok. It's probably counterventionality--and that means it isn't my business."

With the history of forums just up and vanishing occasionally, I don't see this as something that isn't your business. I do apologize for failing to follow through on it! I posted in the Mod forum, and we did some talking, and I was waiting on info and what to do next.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
Rainey