Register

New from CA!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 50.00

New from CA!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Calistar » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi all! I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and finally joined. I don't actually have any rabbits yet-- I'm wanting to get a couple of English Angoras, but am having a heck of a time finding them in California (or anywhere, really!) so I figure I'll just hang around here and learn in the meantime :) I've been researching rabbits and angoras specifically for several months now, but there are so many issues that come up in a forum that are never addressed in the books, so I'm hoping to learn a lot here!

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,311.00

Re: New from CA!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby WhWRabbitry » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:50 am

Welcome Calistar! You will learn so much here, for sure! Everyone is so helpful.
Good luck finding you some nice English Angoras!
Maybe someone here can help you locate some.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:58 am

Welcome to RT!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Calistar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:29 am

Thank you! I'm very excited to be here :)

I certainly hope I'm able to find some bunnies soon! I've been searching since October, which isn't ALL that long, but it seems like forever! It seems like most breeders won't have any bunnies available for a good two or three months still...and there's no guarantee I'd be able to get a bunny from them even when they do! I had originally wanted an angora just as a pet and for fiber, but if the English ones are so hard to come by around here, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get a breeding pair. But first things first! I know angoras, particularly the English, require tons of care and maintenance, so I just want one or two to start so I don't get in over my head.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 pm

:hi: Calistar!

English Angoras, eh? Well, you are in luck, since the renowned breeder Betty Chu is also a Californian. If you want one of the best, I would contact her. :)

She may have older stock available that no longer has the prime wool quality of a younger rabbit that she might let go for less than her premium stock. Since you are new to rabbits, she might not sell to you- but if you want a really good education about their care, having a conversation with her would be worth its weight in gold.

She attends many of the California shows, and will no doubt be at the California Convention in Turlock at the end of this month.

She is a very nice lady and loves talking about her rabbits- but do not, under any circumstances, put your hands on one of her rabbits without permission... she is famed for the phrase "No touch!!!" and seems to have eyes in the back of her head. ;)

Calistar wrote:I had originally wanted an angora just as a pet and for fiber, but if the English ones are so hard to come by around here, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to get a breeding pair. But first things first! I know angoras, particularly the English, require tons of care and maintenance, so I just want one or two to start so I don't get in over my head.

I would start with just one and see how it goes. There are actually quite a few breeders in California, but you aren't going to find them advertising on Craigslist. Your best bet is to attend a show in your area.

This is a link to ARBA show listing page: https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php

You can also look at the breeder's listings; the third entry down is for Melissa, who is also the Internet chairperson of the National English Angora club.

http://nationalangorarabbitbreeders.com/
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Female

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Calistar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:23 am

Thanks for the great information, Sheepdog!

I have heard of Betty Chu from my research. Her rabbits are beautiful! She seems like a really interesting character, too ;) However, I would much prefer an angora from shedding lines, which Chu's angoras specifically aren't. I'd rather have the nicer fiber for spinning and the ease of plucking than the nicer, fuller show coat and the mandatory shearing that goes along with it :) My searching has been limited to the internet so far, and I've only found one Californian breeder who is still active, although I'm sure there have to be more than that. (If I was looking for the French angoras, I'd be totally set though!) But I spoke to that breeder and she is recovering from some serious medical issues, so although I'm on her waiting list, who knows when or if she'll have a rabbit available for me. I'm also looking into out-of-state options.

I will have to look into checking out a rabbit show. I had tried to find fiber festivals in my area, but no real luck there, especially this time of year. I have joined ARBA and checked out their breeder listings as well, although admittedly I didn't look too closely at their show listings...

Sooner or later I'm sure something will show up. At least this way it's impossible to impulse buy! :P

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,325.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby JenerationX » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 am

Welcome! I'm sure somebody will have rabbits at some point. In the meantime, this is a good place to get an education.