Register

About the Donation Goal Increase

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

About the Donation Goal Increase

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:33 pm

First of all, on behalf of all the Moderators and Administrators, I want to thank you every one for your patience as we have undergone two major changes -- the upgrade and the move -- in the last week, and for your generosity. The incredible response to the donation progress bar on the homepage has absolutely floored us.

Your response has allowed us to move to a better, faster, more stable, and hopefully more scrupulous host. The 503 errors should be no more, as the host that was trying to strongarm us into a more expensive plan is now behind us.

Since the creation of RabbitTalk just over four years ago, the majority of the cost of hosting and maintaining the site has been carried by the Administrators -- MidnightCoder and MaggieJ. Occasional donations have come in that have been very much appreciated by them, and have certainly helped. They don't like asking for money, even to keep forum expenses from coming out of their own pockets, so they kept the donation area small and low on the home page. Consequently, it didn't get seen much.

When MidnightCoder realized what was causing the sudden 503 errors and speed issues on RabbitTalk, it became obvious that we were going to have to move, and that getting better hosting was going to cost more than they could continue to shoulder. That is why the Donation Goal bar suddenly appeared on the home page. When he put it up, he had no idea what host he was going to select, as he was in the early stages of research, but he needed to put something up immediately in order to be able to purchase new hosting.

As he posted here: an-important-message-about-rabbittalk-com-t19643.html#p214495, MidnightCoder admitted up front that he had no idea what the true cost would be, and that he would have to increase it once he found out:
It's a safe assumption that whatever hosting solution we decide on will cost significantly more than the plan we have now. Once we have selected a new host, I will be updating the goal on our donation page to reflect the new costs. I realize how this may look, so soon after implementing the system, but it's really our only option now.

I am writing this because he and MaggieJ don't like asking us all for help. Especially when the forum was new, and they didn't know if it was going to last, they didn't want to ask. But now RabbitTalk is four years old, has 2,658 members, 19,613 threads, 215,245 posts, and 2,162 images. New members join almost daily. RabbitTalk has become one of the best rabbit resources on the internet, as well as a wonderful, friendly, inclusive forum! So many of us have been helped invaluably by other members here. I myself have learned almost everything I know about rabbits here. I have watched RabbitTalk's progress from the beginning (though it took me a month to decide to join :roll: ), and it's been an amazing ride. It's just finally become too big for MidnightCoder and MaggieJ to continue to carry almost on their own.

So on their behalf, I thank you all for the donations you have so willingly given, and I ask that you continue to consider supporting RabbitTalk in the future, as you are able.

Thank you so very much for reading this, and for bearing with all the recent changes!

Miss M
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
jamie1977

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,155.00

Re: About the Donation Goal Increase

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ramjet » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 pm

I'll be pitching in when I can .... this weekend cost me a small fortune as my kid spent two days in Texas Children's Hospital with a concussion & fractured skull. I haven't gotten the bill yet .... Its safe to say I'm broke sober and sad.
Your way is not the only way to skin a cat , neither is mine.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 7,920.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:26 pm

It is well worth supporting, [probly like others here] I am unemployed , and ran out of unemployment benefits now-so hope to keep helping a little when I can. -- I love this place--
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,358.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby dayna » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:43 pm

I tried looking but didn't see a change in the amount needed. It's good to know what the goat is so I can figure out a way for me to help them get there.

__________Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:43 pm ___________

Nevermind! Found it.

I'll do my best to help them get there.

The following user would like to thank dayna for this post
MidnightCoder

Site Supporter
Belgium
BunnyBucks: 3,207.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby DogCatMom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:55 pm

Although the Donations ribbon tracks only the most recent five donations and the largest five donations, I was "featured" the other day as one of the most recent (simply by virtue of having done so) for the relatively small sum of $5.00 (five US dollars). I know that many people are on even more of a shoestring than I am, so this amount is not "only five dollars" with all the freight "only" can carry with it.

For $5, I can purchase quite a lot of human food, if I'm careful: a 5-lb bag of potatoes ($1.99), a pound or two of dried beans ($1.49, depending), and some vegs *or* a quart of milk, all at my neighborhood produce store. (This store has saved my...ah..."rear end" :wink: the entire time we've lived in this house.) So $5 isn't to be snubbed by anyone, least of all me.

If there are over 2,500 members of RT, then perhaps half of us (pulling numbers out of the air) might be able to find US$5 to help support this incredibly valuable resource. Think how terrific that would be! :D

When I contributed my $5 Friday, I also tested whether one could donate even without a PayPal account (mine hasn't worked since Spring 2009). Yes, you can donate without a PayPal account. :D

I've referred several people to this forum after seeing them attacked on "pet house bunny" forums for asking pretty reasonable questions. :( One of them wrote me a PM from his RT account thanking me for this referral, so I know that he found his way here. :) It's all well and good to have a pet house bunny--that's what I have, after all, even if I do require him to help eat down my overgrown plants! But the tone of self-righteous, moral superiority so prevalent on the three "pet house bunny" forums I visited (one of which I joined) was Really. Hard. To. Take. :angry: That kind of "stuff" doesn't happen here; another valuable aspect of RT.

If you find RabbitTalk helpful/valuable/fun/essential to life, kind of like breathing :) and are in a position to do so, I'd like to request that you strongly consider contributing US$5. More, of course, would be wonderful, but $5 helps, esp. if half the forum members can swing it. International members' contributions are converted into Canadian currency automatically; mine was.

Let's support RT as we are able to and let our hard-working sysop and admin know that this resource is valuable to us. For members in distressed circumstances: your advice is valuable, too! and has helped me--likely others, too--very much. I thank you, and so does Parsley Graybuns, in his quiet way. :D

The following user would like to thank DogCatMom for this post
MamaSheepdog, MidnightCoder, skysthelimit

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 am

Ramjet wrote:I'll be pitching in when I can .... this weekend cost me a small fortune as my kid spent two days in Texas Children's Hospital with a concussion & fractured skull. I haven't gotten the bill yet .... Its safe to say I'm broke sober and sad.

Ramjet! Oh, no! :o :cry: Is your child going to be alright? :(

Please don't worry about the fundraiser, Ramjet... no one expects anyone to give who is unable to, or who is going through something like this. Take care of your family, and please, please keep us updated. I'll be praying for y'all.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 5,155.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Ramjet » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:23 am

Miss M he'll be fine tho the recovery period for the fracture is 3-6 months , my pocketbook's recovery is highly questionable , even with insurance I have no idea what the total out of pocket cost will be. $5k+ 20% of all costs. I'm already on a tight budget.

This episode was like being stabbed in the heart then kicked in the groin .... :wr_brick:
Your way is not the only way to skin a cat , neither is mine.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Just wanted to add my 2 pence worth. From the beginning, Maggie and MidnightCoder wanted this to be a "free to anyone" site, with only minimal advertisements if any at all. It was started as an alternative to the hmmm.... overbearing and intolerant forums that were on the web. After a 2 year absence from the forum, I'm REALLY HAPPY :pinkbunny: to see that it's stayed the same...just with more participants :)

Donations have always been welcome, of course, but as MissM said...neither Maggie nor MC are comfortable asking for them. So it's up to the people who use the forum, who value the input they get from the others here; those who love the freedom to talk about ANY type of rabbit raising (gosh..that sounds like hell raising...well...sort of the same thing...)without being told to "shut up" "go away" "you don't belong here" or "how COULD YOU?????" :roll: ...it's up to US to support the site.

I'd hazard a guess that at least 75% of us are counting our pennies. As always...HOME LIFE COMES FIRST! Pay your bills. make sure there is food on the table. Fuel in the car. then, if there is any left over that you might spend on entertainment or something..consider donating a few $ to the site.

Some of us can afford to donate a bit more than others. It's NOT a competition. If you can't afford to donate..please don't feel bad! Everyone here understands, and no one is going to say anything. heck...I can't even remember my own name most days, let alone the names on the donation screen. :lol:

well. hmph. that got a bit long winded.

Ann, the one who is trying to curb the long-winded responses and failing miserably.

The following user would like to thank Anntann for this post
MaggieJ, MidnightCoder

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,715.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm

I've given a rather small donation so far, but intend to give more in the future, (my paypal account fluctuates, I had $5 so that's what I gave for now, but I will definitely give more, even if it has to come in small increments through the year). I really appreciate your determination to keep this website free for all, and want to do my best to help that cause.

The lack of adds is so refreshing!

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,299.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby ilovehome » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Is there a way to donate anonymously? I really don't want to be on the lists.
Broadway Stars Rabbitry
English Lops, Mini Lops, Giant Chinchillas and Beverens
http://www.broadwaystars2010.com

Site Admin
Canada Male
BunnyBucks: 2,149.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MidnightCoder » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:19 pm

There is! :) Just log out of RT before donating, and it will be recorded as simply "anonymous". Thanks for asking.
:typing: -David Affordable forum and blog customization | My latest photos
“The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.” ― Marcel Pagnol

The following user would like to thank MidnightCoder for this post
ilovehome