Register

UPDATE Converting dog crate to rabbit cage *advice needed*

Do It Yourself and save money. Post about your rabbit DIY projects here.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 135.00

UPDATE Converting dog crate to rabbit cage *advice needed*

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Sireenica » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Update:

I have decided that I will get the most space converting a dog crate I acquired cheap (in pieces)
The crate is 48x30x36
Question- I am ordering a wire bottom from Klubertaz- The bottom is about $40 to ship. HOWEVER I could order 2 pieces 30x24 and save on shipping- I would then have to wire those to each other and to the crate.

I am wondering how safe and effective this would be, or if I should scrap the idea all together and stick with the 48x30 panel.

The plastic wall could be swapped with wire- I was going to do plastic with no edges exposed so it wouldnt be chewed and it could double as another door for easy cleaning

I hope its ok I am reposting this, I realized I put it in the wrong section

In an attempt to keep cost low and use materials I have on hand I was thinking of adding 14 gauge wire mesh to the bottom of my dog crate as a rabbit home.

Question 1: How corrosive is rabbit urine? Would it take the black paint off the dog crate? (its the kind they come coated in from the manufacturer)

Question 2: if it chewed on the cage wire would the paint coating be dangerous to the rabbit?

I have a 36x24x24 crate (it fits my 45lb dog) I know I will need to upgrade eventually but is this big enough for a Giant Angora (up to 12lb) initially?
Last edited by Sireenica on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 110.00

Re: Converting a dog crate to rabbit cage (

Post Number:#2  Unread postby oakhollow » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Doesn't really answer your questions, but you could add 1/2" hardware cloth to the sides to prevent chewing. Some may disagree, but the size should work for a while, my 10# New Zealand does did fine kindling and raising young in that size. Up to 10 kits until weaning at 6 weeks old. Not totally ideal, but better than I have seen some.

The following user would like to thank oakhollow for this post
Sireenica

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,888.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm

From my experience, the rabbit urine itself will not take the paint off the crate, but it will calcify and coat the crate to a point where any attempts to get it off would ruin the paint. If it was sold for dogs, it is probably non toxic paint. My main worries (other than what a pain it would be to clean) would be that the gaps in the side were large enough that if a rabbit spooked, it could easily get its legs caught in the cage and break them.
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Sireenica

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 135.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Sireenica » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:56 pm

SableSteel wrote:From my experience, the rabbit urine itself will not take the paint off the crate, but it will calcify and coat the crate to a point where any attempts to get it off would ruin the paint. If it was sold for dogs, it is probably non toxic paint. My main worries (other than what a pain it would be to clean) would be that the gaps in the side were large enough that if a rabbit spooked, it could easily get its legs caught in the cage and break them.

Whoa I didn't even think of that- I can line it with a cheap wire mesh- maybe even chicken wire since it would be less of a barrier and more of a gap filler- that would be easy to cut too.
I know people who make the cages out of the Nic cubes and they dont seem to have problems with gaps.

As for the taking off the paint- I'm not a fan but as long as it doesnt get too rusty to clean I don't really care. I just want it to be rabbit safe.

I also just got a response from a person selling a huge stainless steel dog crate (48x36x30) in pieces for $30- I might just slap a pre made bottom on that thing and call it a day. Zip tie it shut for easy take apart for cleaning. Add chicken wire for the gaps- you know this might just work.

I don't suppose there is some safe spray I can use for rust then is there? Like a coating?