Register

toys

Do It Yourself and save money. Post about your rabbit DIY projects here.
1 year of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 1,725.00

toys

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ipoGSD » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:48 pm

I had lots of little pieces that I saved from making the cage. Mainly the little 45 degree pieces from the braces. I drilled holes in them along with a few kids abc blocks that I had left from making other toys. I drilled holes in different spots so the wood pieces wouldn't be uniform while hanging. Adds a little more unique look to the hanging pieces

Then I asked my sister if I could borrow some of her cake decorating food coloring. (Concentrated wilton gel food dye) mixed a glob (full tip of butter knife) of it in a cup of hot water to make sure it fully dissolved.

Added that to a bucket with more hot water- just enough to fully submerge the blocks of wood. Added the blocks. Stuck one bucket on top of the other to keep them under the water. The top bucket I used a plastic lid with a coffee can to weigh it down.

I let them soak I for a little over 24 hrs. Now they are drying fully outside. Gotta let them fully dry before storage or they can mold. I used to do this for my b&g macaw. If you want colors to pop leave it in for 24 hrs. I'd say soak a minimum of 8 hours. It takes a while to soak up the color. first time I did this yrs ago. It was a fail lol didn't let them soak long enough and didn't use the right kind of dye. (I used the liquid drops)

It saves money, it's a fun project to do with kids and it keeps my bunnies happy and teeth healthy. I plan on using sisal rope to string them. :)

-- Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:40 pm --

1 year of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 870.00

Re: toys

Post Number:#2  Unread postby KenoshaRabbits » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Cool idea! I might do this when I get my rabbits.

The following user would like to thank KenoshaRabbits for this post
ipoGSD

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby HOWsMom » Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am

Cool idea - might have to "borrow" this !
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 515.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Olimpia » Thu May 19, 2016 11:08 am

Be careful with the sisal rope. I haven't found any that doesn't smell horrible, it tends to be oiled which isn't good for them, smells like gasoline. I was going to try either hemp rope or paper twine instead for mine. Unless there is a pet safe sisal supplier available. But I'm in Canada so there tends to not be as much choice here so maybe that is the issue..