Register

The peeps I won't be quiet about

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,840.00

The peeps I won't be quiet about

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Zass » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 am

I think I commented about these little ones every other day since I placed the egg order. :P

This is my third attempt at bantam chickens, and my second at Bantam cochins.
Since I only try once a year, these little guys are a few years overdue for me.

The first year, I was sold the wrong peeps. They grew much larger than anticipated.
The second year, I set a meager 1/2 dozen mailed bantam cochen eggs in the incubator. Not a single one developed. :|

This time, I got two dozen ebay eggs from different sellers. (about $45, shipping included)
One dozen was bantam cochins. The other was to be seramas, size a and b.
No colors were specified, so I just had to cross my fingers and hope the breeders had good taste with their pairings, and that I would get a nice variety.

13 peeps, which was about spot on with the 50% hatch rates I've been averaging with shipped eggs. No disappointment there, it's what I planned for. :) Seramas are said to be a bit trickier to hatch, but my little incubator has proven itself a few times now. 8-)

8 bantam cochins: 5 in varying shades of brown, 2 black, and 1 black with a white belly and throat.

5 Little Seramas: 2 are yellowish, 1 is sorta brownish, and 2 are silvery.

That's as far as I can ID baby chicken colors. I'll have to wait for feathers before I even begin to make legit guesses.

Once the feathers come in, we can also play the rooster/hen game. :P
Only hens stay in town with me, unless.. Unless maybe I get a really handsome little guy, of either breed.
I have done a bit of research on rooster collars. That might be an option.
Of the posts I saw where people were talking about being extremely careful to follow directions, and still having problems with the collars, it seemed like was almost always a bantam roo involved.

I don't know if it was from using one-size-fits-all collars on the little guys, if they just have so much less wiggle room between suffocation and enough air to crow, or maybe both. Either way, I picked up that one should be extra super careful when trying to use one with bantams, and that the initial tightening process might be best done in an enclosed space, where it will be easier to catch and adjust the collar as needed.

IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG (146.47 KiB) Viewed 181 times

silvery serama

IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG (201.74 KiB) Viewed 181 times

IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG (216.36 KiB) Viewed 181 times

feety feathers.jpg
feety feathers.jpg (236.26 KiB) Viewed 181 times

I'm doing quail next, so expect to hear me going on and on about those.. :oops:
Oh, and I have a litter of harlis due at the end of the month.
It's finally starting to feel like spring here. :D
Last edited by Zass on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 257.00

Re: The peeps I won't be quiet about

Post Number:#2  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 am

Cuties!! :love:
How do you like the wood pellets in the brooder, is it better than chips?

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,320.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 am

wonderful-- I so love bantams ... brings back memories-
When I was a kid- we had a few bantam chickens that never came in the coop ,they lived in the cow pasture, and orchard -spent their summers scratching cow pies apart eating lost grain, and grubs, in winter I tossed them a little feed when they came asking for it-- they roosted way up in a big spruce tree near the house, they survived 20 below winters... I would find their nests and remove most of their eggs, and replace them with eggs from our laying hens, -then when the chicks were feathered out- I would collect the bigger pullet chicks and put them in the coop.. [and eat the roosters] Those little bantam eggs were so much better than our "cooped chicken" eggs..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,383.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Rainey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks, Zass, I enjoyed seeing your peeps. And thanks, Michael, enjoy your stories from boyhood.

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:41 am

So cute!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

The following user would like to thank Marinea for this post
Zass

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,188.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Love the pics, Zass. Chicks are always so cute! The "feety feathers" are a bonus. :)

Thanks for posting this. I'm so glad you had a good hatch this time around. :D

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Zass » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:35 pm

WVForestGirl wrote:Cuties!! :love:
How do you like the wood pellets in the brooder, is it better than chips?

I couldn't imagine anything much better than wood pellets in a brooder. They are super absorbent, and it's easy to stir mess under. They also give plenty of grip for little birdy feet. I tried them a few years back, as it's what I had on hand for indoor rabbit bedding, and I was sold on the stuff.

I suggest giving them a try, especially if you ever have to brood ducks. ;)

Nymphadora, WVForestGirl

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,965.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby akane » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:51 pm

oooo I just found with an entire rewrite of the municipal code that the new version they finally have easily accessible is not worded in a way that likely can ban quail and definitely not button quail. I need to hatch something :lol: I've been debating if animal control is stupid enough for "malaysian ground parrots" (seramas) indoors but I'm not willing to risk it. They like to blanket word laws in this county and more so the city to not bother researching individual species much less breeds. Since they stick family names on everything in order to ban one species they tend to end up banning everything in that group. Then put idiots who have no idea how taxonomy works on animal control. When confused they try to say you can't keep any "wild animals" or "livestock" but beyond common pets that's a darn big grey area. :roll:
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
Canada

Post Number:#9  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Zass wrote:

I definitely will next batch. I wanted to try them in rabbit pans anyway so it sounds like a good time to pick up a bag. Thanks!
Ducks are totally on my wish list but I think they're a no-go on my current urban microfarm. :(

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Zass » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I also love to hear everyone's the stories. <3

I learned that bantam cochins aren't really miniature cochins at all, but properly "pekin chickens." A small, very similar breed.

WVForestGirl wrote:
Zass wrote:

I definitely will next batch. I wanted to try them in rabbit pans anyway so it sounds like a good time to pick up a bag. Thanks!
Ducks are totally on my wish list but I think they're a no-go on my current urban microfarm. :(

Ducks don't work out for us very well either. A few for meat would be nice, and I hatch some occasionally with that goal in mind, but we never seem to be able to eat them. :roll: It's always a loss.

My urban microfarm livestock favorites are : Rabbits (meat,) coturnix quail (eggs and occasional meat,) composting worms (protein for birds,) pigeons (luxury red meat,) and chickens. Large fowl were lovely to have, but didn't really work for my steep hillside, so we're going to try some little guys this time.

serams2.JPG
serams2.JPG (136.43 KiB) Viewed 132 times

This little guy fell asleep standing up. :lol:
sleepy.JPG
sleepy.JPG (274.27 KiB) Viewed 132 times

crash
sleepy (2).JPG
sleepy (2).JPG (312.87 KiB) Viewed 132 times

and this is everyone asleep.
really leepy.JPG
really leepy.JPG (243.02 KiB) Viewed 132 times

sleepy*

Don't even ask about the brooder setup. :roll: It's literally just stuff I found laying around the house, because I've done this a few times now, and I'm lazy and would rather rig something and wash and re-purpose everything later, than have a permanent proper brooder. I'll adjust and improvise some more, as needed by the little guys.

michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
Canada

Post Number:#11  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am

Your steep hillside urban microfarm sounds just like mine! I have a little flat space on top, that's where the vegetable garden is. Everything else is getting terraced and buildings hang off the edge.
I didn't know that pigeons were luxury red meat.....I'll have to look into that, could probably fit some of those. I'm really enjoying the rabbits and chickens. I'm wary of ducks because of the noise, I have one neighbor who isn't too impressed with the farm next door. :?

Your sleepies are adorable. I love when they fall asleep all over like that, it looks like someone reached into a basket and just threw them in there willy nilly.

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
michaels4gardens

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 35,965.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby akane » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 am

Zass wrote:Don't even ask about the brooder setup. :roll: It's literally just stuff I found laying around the house, because I've done this a few times now, and I'm lazy and would rather rig something and wash and re-purpose everything later, than have a permanent proper brooder. I'll adjust and improvise some more, as needed by the little guys.

I don't know how many things have gone through the 55gallon fish tank my mom bought me in high school. At minimum it's been a fish tank, frog tank, brooder (heat lamp melted the center brace for any future water filling), button quail breeding trio, giant robo hamster natural setup, young degu growout, and currently crested geckos. Never throw away large panels of glass.....
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Zass » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 am

:)
Right now I'm using a plastic tote, a few cookie sheets, a regular lamp with 100 watt bulb, and an upside down wire basket hanger, to make sure the lamp couldn't possibly get dislodged and land on the peeps.. and some leftover bedding pellets.
I do have the TSC chick feeder and waterers, because those little guys make a mess without them.

The peeps are my thermometers. If they cluster, they need more even heat throughout, if they are at the edges of the tub and away from the bulb, they need it moved further away, etc.

I'm going to have to find something bigger soon though. :?

michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,320.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 am

Zass wrote::)
Right now I'm using a plastic tote, a few cookie sheets, a regular lamp with 100 watt bulb, and an upside down wire basket hanger, to make sure the lamp couldn't possibly get dislodged and land on the peeps.. and some leftover bedding pellets.
I do have the TSC chick feeder and waterers, because those little guys make a mess without them.

The peeps are my thermometers. If they cluster, they need more even heat throughout, if they are at the edges of the tub and away from the bulb, they need it moved further away, etc.

I'm going to have to find something bigger soon though. :?

right now my "brooder" is an upside down tote, with a door cut in it, and a hole in the top for the light and cord... so far it is working perfectly ...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 pm

So, this is the friendliest little batch of peep yet. I told the kids, they are all roosters until proven hen.

The seramas sure are developing fast.
This little guy's got moth wings. :oops:
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG (279.31 KiB) Viewed 88 times

All the brown cochins, no idea what colors, or if they are even going to be anything in particular.

IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_0953.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 88 times

IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG (301.29 KiB) Viewed 88 times

I think this is called lavender or self blue?

IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG (182.65 KiB) Viewed 88 times

Oh and look, some harlis snuck into this post. Whatever are they doing here.. :whistle:

IMG_0961.jpg
IMG_0961.jpg (246.14 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Last edited by Zass on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

michaels4gardens

Next