Register

Guinea pig baby color?

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,682.00

Guinea pig baby color?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Prisma » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:08 pm

So "black" had this surprise baby. Looks dove gray, almost light lilac in person. She has had rew, himi, red, cream, red eyed orange, gold tipped black, and a chocolate.

What is this one? I've never seen one remotely close. Red eyes, no tipping no apparent agouti markings either. I first thought lutino gene...but is that even possible with pigs? Picture doesn't give exactly how she looks in person...she's lighter.
Attachments
2016-12-24_15.02.06.jpg
2016-12-24_15.02.06.jpg (766.58 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,291.00

Re: Guinea pig baby color?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Lutino in rabbits and the pink eyed gene in rodents (mice, rats, gerbils, Guinea pigs etc..) is on the same locus

The pink eyed gene turns blacks a smokey grey called "lilac" and unlike rabbits it has nothing to do with chocolate or dilute ;)

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,345.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Yep, you've got the pink eye gene. Personally I avoid it. It will make the lilacs and beiges depending on base color.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,502.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:46 am

Pink eye dilute is common in cavies. Looks lilac to me (all lilacs have red eyes)
Sable Steel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationally Competitive Himalayans | Champagne Netherland Dwarfs | Muffed Ice Pigeons | Parlour Tumblers | ARBA Registrar

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,682.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Prisma » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Yay! I'm actually excited. Are there any bigger health issues with pink eyed gene or is it like all other colors? Or is a personal preference?

The one I got them from new nothing, was very surprised. I've never seen one here, even since I was a lil kid eyeing them in the pet shop lol. Looks to be a lil girl...I'd love to get more of them. Is it a recessive gene? I'll look more up otherwise of course.
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,502.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:34 pm

It's simple recessive. It turns black into lilac, chocolate into beige, and red into red-eyed-orange (and gives creams red eyes instead of dark eyes). If she had red eyed orange before, she has to carry the gene

They don't have any health problems that I know of. I love the red-eyed-dilutions, but many people don't want them as pets (I had himi americans, so I had to avoid it anyway - lilac Himalayans aren't accepted)
Sable Steel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationally Competitive Himalayans | Champagne Netherland Dwarfs | Muffed Ice Pigeons | Parlour Tumblers | ARBA Registrar

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,345.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby akane » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Aside from not being all that desirable outside of show circles there is nothing wrong with pew. Guinea pigs are hardy and the only color that gives you trouble is roan and even then you don't get weak guinea pigs. If you cross roan x roan you get healthy roans or oddities that die quickly without an extreme amount of extra care (lethal whites).
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.