Register

What color is this rabbit?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 290.00

What color is this rabbit?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby CeroBlanco » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi all, I'd like to know the color of the lightest rabbit. This is the litter from which I bought one of my bucks (that is the blue in the photo), so I'd need help to have a more clear idea of my rabbit's genotype. The litter were of six rabbits, two blacks, two blues and two of this unknown color. Sorry for the photo, but I haven't a better one. Thank you in advance!

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,103.00

Re: What color is this rabbit?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 pm

It looks like either a tortoise or a torted harlequin. the marking at the base of the ear makes me thing its a torted harlequin.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
CeroBlanco

1 year of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby CeroBlanco » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 am

I didn't notice that marking, but now I definitely see it. Very helpful, thank you!

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,535.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby akane » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Parent colors? Specific breed or known contributing breeds? You can get blue and black from practically anything depending what it's paired with so the offspring could carry everything under the sun. If you knew the parents were both self we could rule out half the colors rabbits come in. If you knew the breed(s) many have limited recognized colors except maybe a few that have snuck in from common outcrossings or that people are working on. Some of the small breeds though have the genes for most colors that exist even if they aren't recognized.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

1 year of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby CeroBlanco » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Sorry for the delay, I read only now. Unfortunately, I don't know the color of parents, in my country the pedigree for rabbits is not common. 95% of the rabbits for sale here are without pedigree, without any rules for the colors. The breed is lionhead, but here is not even recognized. Sad but true.