Register

False Netherland Dwarf?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
BunnyBucks: 11.00

False Netherland Dwarf?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Eclaire » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi! I recently bought a broken opal netherland dwarf doe and was wondering if she is a false dwarf. I bought her when she was only eight weeks old and as she's grown her ears have gotten a lot bigger, but the rest of her still seems small and pretty compact. If she's a false dwarf does she look like she'd be a good breeding doe? Also she's now 3 months old and I was wondering how long she will continue growing.
Attachments
Sky Bun.jpg
Sky Bun.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 72 times

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,719.00

Re: False Netherland Dwarf?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 pm

It's hard to tell at this age; their ears tend to grow first and they need some time to catch up (we called this 'the uglies'), and each line is slightly different (ask the breeder; they probably know the growth patterns of their line). They'll continue growing until about 6 months, before they reach what's about their adult weight (they might gain a bit more after then but not too much)
Just looking at her long head, though, if I had to guess I might say she's a false dwarf
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Eclaire