Register

Figuring out new genetics

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,325.00

Figuring out new genetics

Post Number:#1  Unread postby TerriG » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

You guys were so helpful when we first started out (back in 2012!) We had our genetics all figured out. Then we had some strays show up (true rabbit math! They showed up in my yard). After quarantine, they were added to our stock. We now have some interesting things showing up that I am trying to learn about.

We've entered the broken colors world. That's been fun. Even added some tri-colors in.

Today I noticed the iris on a 5 week old kit aren't a solid color! She appears to be a harlequin dutch? Her iris is a lighter color from the 6-9 (like a clock) part.

Gaaaah! I can't remember how to add pics, or if I even can from my phone.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,690.00

Re: Figuring out new genetics

Post Number:#2  Unread postby shazza » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 pm

the vienna gene can cause that, and since you said she's a dutch harlequin, it's likely that gene is at play. It's not super common for a rabbit to have heterochromia, but it sure is beautiful!
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,023.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

Sounds like you've got the vienna gene (which is causing both the eye coloring like that and the dutch like markings)
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,290.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ozemba » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:46 pm

One of my Vienna Marked does, which is vienna gene expressed as dutch markings and white snips or stripes on the face, also has the eye color, half grey half blue. I should snap a picture too. It's pretty cool.