Register

Steel

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 846.00

Steel

Post Number:#1  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:48 am

So I recently had a litter with my two blue selfs, only to discover that someone was not who they appeared to be.
After looking at pedigrees and the rabbits themselves I believe my doe is actually a steel, not blue. However, I can't find this color on my usual Angora go-to website, and my go-to color calculator website doesn't have steel listed as an option.
So, help please. Blue steel, is it? Aa B- C- dd EsE
~~Six Gun French Angoras~~

"Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy."
Frank Herbert, Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles #3)

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,239.00

Re: Steel

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:35 am

That's a possible genotype for blue steel.
Sable Steel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationally Competitive Himalayans | Champagne Netherland Dwarfs | Muffed Ice Pigeons | Parlour Tumblers | ARBA Registrar

Site Supporter

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:49 am

LOL! Love it!

So my litter has a Lynx and a Fawn....

What would they look like genetically? Maybe I can work backwards that way?

"Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristocratic forms. No government in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, government tends more and more to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class -- whether that class be hereditary royalty, oligarchs of financial empires, or entrenched bureaucracy."

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,092.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Dood » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:44 am

Lynx = A_ bb C_ dd E_ (both chocolate and blue)

Fawn = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee
BUT you CANNOT get a fawn from two blues so I suspect you've got a dilute fawn AKA cream = A_ B_ C_ dd ee

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
SixGun

Site Supporter

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:49 pm

So Fawn is not a dilute of Red? That's probably a dumb question.

Thank you very much Dood.

How about Ermine? A breeder friend suspects the white are not REW but Ermine.

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dood » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Nope, red rabbits have other colour genes not usually listed in the genotype called wideband and extra Rufus factors to get that red belly and rich dark red

(if you wanted to get technical you would have over 12 colour, pattern and fur type loci :cheesysmile: but only 5 colours are commonly used ;) )

Fawn = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee W_ +
Red = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee ww ++++

An ermine (sometimes called frosty) is a fawn that is also chinchilla (= A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ee) or sable (= A_ B_ cchl_ D_ ee)

Site Supporter

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:45 pm

OK....

So if I bred a Blue (self) to a Steel (Agouti) would I be able to get Blue, Steel, Lynx, Cream, Ermine, and a REW? That's what my best guesses are right now for what is in the nest box.

Lynx / Cream / Ermine

3 Blues and a Steel? The one has a lighter color coming in on his ears.

Ermine and maybe a REW

Site Supporter

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Dood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 am

Partially correct

You can get blue, steel, Lynx, cream but only frost OR REW and not both because both parents carry one full colour gene and one recessive

HOWEVER :mrgreen: IF the blue is actually a self chinchilla :D you could get frosty AND REW :cheesysmile: Time will tell

I think the Lynx (= A_ bb C_ dd E_ ) is more likely a Opal (= A_ B_ C_ dd E_)

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,377.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Dood wrote:Partially correct

You can get blue, steel, Lynx, cream but only frost OR REW and not both because both parents carry one full colour gene and one recessive

HOWEVER :mrgreen: IF the blue is actually a self chinchilla :D you could get frosty AND REW :cheesysmile: Time will tell

I think the Lynx (= A_ bb C_ dd E_ ) is more likely a Opal (= A_ B_ C_ dd E_)

No matter how many times I get genetics explained to me... I so don't get it .... Sticking with one colour, with the hopes that I don't need to ..... (Although I bow to those that "get" it....)

Thank you Dood for "getting it"
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/