Register

Color Impossibility v2

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,430.00

Color Impossibility v2

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Jack » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm

So My wife was given baby polish to grow out (head isn't there but has a good butt, which her line is weak on) as our friend doesn't like to drive into town were the pet store is, and her neighbor let his hawk go...

So it's a 'chocolate' out of two blues, which is making me think Lilac, but I have never seen the color, and even though he looks a little frosted, he actually looks pretty good color wise.

So, I know what I think he should be, how do I check? The eye color what?
Thrianta Breeder extraordinaire,
well not really, but trying damn hard.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tundra-Treasures-Rabbitry/142934279087620

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: Color Impossibility v2

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:32 pm

Lilac and chocolate are pretty easy to tell apart just by coat but the eyes are also different. The color ring in the eye matches the coat color so chocolate for chocolate and grey(lilac) for lilac.

Ignore twix's grumpy attitude but it's the best pic I have of a chocolate with the chocolate eye ring showing

And a Lilac with a narrow but visible color ring.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Jack » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:15 pm

Oh, so I guess I should mention, that there is no pedigree with the rabbit (she hates computers, so until it's a deff keeper, no need for the fuss)
but
it's a chocolate, my wife's friend actually kinda complained about his color, but she is curious as one one side there should be great color, the sire is a beautiful blue, but the broken black doe is from her super grandchamp buck, who still comes out afew times a year (at over 7) to take Best of Breed (it's kinda not fair, but there isn't a geriatric class, LOL)
but he still has a fluff coat LOL and has to be caught at just the right time to show, and he passes it on.

So she thinks the blue is stronger in the undercoat due to the daddy, and the the baby has gramps super fluff baby coat, but yeah, from the eyes and ear tips, it's a chocolate, and a sweet one at that.
Last edited by Jack on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby DevonW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Chocolate polish

I don't have a picture of a lilac polish but 2 dilutes cannot produce a full colour. So either it's not a chocolate or the pedigree is wrong.
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 455.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby moonkitten » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

Jack wrote:the sire is a beautiful blue, but the broken black doe is from her super grandchamp buck

So it's not actually out of two blues, but out of a broken black doe bred to a blue buck? In that case chocolate is not an impossibility :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Down the Rabbit Hole -Harlequins and New Zealand (black, blue, and broken)

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Jack » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm

yea, my wife had the does mixed up