Register

Another color question

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 882.00

Another color question

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Jasharia » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:31 am

I have a chocolate English angora buck he is out of a chocolate and a lilac point. Now for my first doe I might get a opal I am not sure what she is out of but I know there is a rew in there. Is it posible that I can get a pointed white? I know with chocolate both have to carry the color right? So could I get a black or blue pointed white? I am still trying to get a chocolate pointed white doe but have not found any yet.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,430.00

Re: Another color question

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Jack » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm

NO, I'm not good with modified agouti colors (points and chins)

BUT this I do know, REW is a masking color, and points are C (colored) C-chin-light but then you have other color modifiers to get opals etc.
Anywho, a REW is cc, so if it carries, a C-chin c(REW), and you breed to another carrier, you will get some REW not points, the points depend on the C-color being a C-chin light
Thrianta Breeder extraordinaire,
well not really, but trying damn hard.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tundra-Treasures-Rabbitry/142934279087620

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:12 pm

The opal would have to carry for pointed white for pointeds to show up in the first generation. Opal is a dilute agouti so anything could be hiding there.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,430.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Jack » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Ok, use google to check me
but here is my try

opal is A_B_dd_C, so a dilute black agouti (dilute agouti basically)
the point would have to be carried in the C c(chn L)

So if the rabbit is from a point, maybe, otherwise most likely no.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi5/angorarabb ... codes.html
http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/genetics.htm
http://www.mysticalmistminiatures.com/genetics.html

lastly written by Eric Stewart, ARBA director
http://www.arba.net/district/9/lop_color_genetics.htm

That should answer all your questions
Thrianta Breeder extraordinaire,
well not really, but trying damn hard.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tundra-Treasures-Rabbitry/142934279087620

BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:18 pm

The Eric Stewart link is the one.. he knows his stuff inside and out :)

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby grinlow farm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:08 pm

when you talk about lilac point do you mean a Lilac pearl or a lilac pointed white?. I have pointed whites and I do not breed agouti patterns to the pointeds. The agouti will show up in the points which is a DQ on the show table.

BunnyBucks: 882.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Jasharia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:27 pm

See that is what I need to know He is chocolate and his mom is a pointed white and his dad is chocolate. So I sould not even get this doe right? I don't want to mess up the color.

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby grinlow farm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:58 pm

He can throw pointed whites. I would breed him to a solid doe. If you are in love with the opal just realize some of the offspring could be pointed agouti. There could be alot of other colors. When I pair my agouti buck and pointed doe in Evans Software I get 12% unrecognized color which is prob. pointed agouti, that means each bunny has 12% chance of being unrecognized color. Your pointed is a generation removed so that number is prob decreased. I love my english agouti angora rabbits but I keep them away from my pointed line.