Register

himalayan in mini rex

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 7133
Joined: July 17, 2010
Location: Iowa
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1075 in 953 posts
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

himalayan in mini rex

Post Number:#1  Unread postby akane » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:37 pm


Can himalayan be carried in a chocolate without showing it? According to the paper work I was given my chocolate buck threw a himalayan chocolate and my chocolate doe is out of a himalayan chocolate. So in my hopefully upcoming litter from them what are the odds I'll get himalayans? Not that I'll know what I'm looking at since I've never seen any point colored rabbits.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 892
Joined: January 5, 2010
Location: Barrie Ontario
Thanks: 3
Thanked: 59 in 53 posts
BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Re: himalayan in mini rex

Post Number:#2  Unread postby DevonW » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:45 pm


Yep. Himalayan is a recessive gene, that is dominant to white.

So if he has a Himi in his pedigree he can carry it, if bred to a himi, a rabbit that carried himi, or rew, he would be able to produce it without he himself actually being a Himi.
Image
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

Moderator
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 14498
Joined: January 20, 2010
United States of America Female
Thanks: 977
Thanked: 1497 in 1225 posts
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Re: himalayan in mini rex

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 pm


Pointed rabbits are pointed like Siamese (or Himalayan) cats. If I'm not mistaken, most pointed rabbit babies would look white at first, with the points showing up a couple of weeks later or so.

Not like I'm some expert. Just passing on what I've read... :lol:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 7133
Joined: July 17, 2010
Location: Iowa
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1075 in 953 posts
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: himalayan in mini rex

Post Number:#4  Unread postby akane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 pm


So himalayan is recessive and it takes 2 genes to make the color show. The chocolate buck produced a himalayan which means he's probably carrying one. The doe is out of a himalayan who most likely carried 2 copies so she got one. Therefore, if we put them together we get a 25% chance of himalayan, 50% carrying himalayan aka split, and 25% without any copy of the gene. Since the rest of the litter should be chocolate (slight chance of lilac) it should be easy to pick out the new born himalayans as much lighter than the chocolates. Right?

Quick related question that make might all that not work out so neatly. Both have rew as great grandparents but could they carry rew and himalayan without displaying either? From what I gathered if they carried both they would display the more dominant one which is himalayan. If that's true then there's a chance the himalayan came from the other side and the buck was passing on rew so could the himalayan offspring of the buck and dam of the doe be rew/himalayan and potentially pass on the rew instead? Or am I wrong and they have to be carrying himalayan?
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1895
Joined: January 6, 2010
Location: North Simcoe Ontario
Thanks: 51
Thanked: 136 in 118 posts
BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Re: himalayan in mini rex

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 pm


Both have a chance of rew in with their full colour "C" gene. That is probably why the himi shows up because there are rew genes there which are recessive to Himi.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest