Register

Is this Flemish a Sandy?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 0.00

Is this Flemish a Sandy?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby EviesTulipsRabbitry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 pm

My aunt just bought her July 10th. It was the same breeder that I bought my (blue fawn/ Harlequin) doe from. If she's a mis-mark Sandy, Then she will be re-homed. She's sure a sweet little thing.

This baby says she's a sandy. Her belly is bluish color and her coat is different then her 2 other Flemish's.

So I was wondering what she is.. Is she a mis-mark Sandy?

Thanks, Misty

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,256.00

Re: Is this Flemish a Sandy?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Shara » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:59 pm

no clue, but sure is a pretty rabbit! How old is she?
“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child
And as loving as Christ...

Post Number:#3  Unread postby EviesTulipsRabbitry » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:04 pm

She was born in May. I dont know the date though. But yes, She is sure a cute little bunny! And very friendly and doesnt mind been picking up either! :)

BunnyBucks: 2,245.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Honorine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:45 pm

She's a sandy, but she isn't a wide band, thats why her belly has under color. Flemish can be both wide band and 'normal', often the wide bands do better in shows. For instance in Light Grays a wide band rabbit appears to be the more desirable lighter color, non-wide bands just look like normal chinchillas. She could still carry wide band, and thats her baby coat, what colors were her parents?

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Shara » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:48 pm

I know one baby I bought at six weeks whose color changed dramatically around four months, and another just recently, whose color went from a honest-to-goodness black, all the way to some agouti or tipped color between six and eight weeks. Still waiting to see what she will be. Maybe if you wait a month or two, her color will change, if it IS mis-marked. A sweetie like that, I would hang on to (personally) to see if maybe her color would change.

But again, I know NOTHING about rabbit colors (I mean, I would probably keep even if she WAS mismarked, lol, as a brooder. I have a MUTT that is a sweetie, and am keeping by justifying that I will use her to foster kits. lol)

Oh, now that I see Honorine's post, sounds like she IS marked right! KEEP HER!!! (or send her my way, lol, just joking, hubby would FLIP if he saw me with a flemish....hehe)
“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Honorine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Shara sounds like your black is a steel, they start out black and then start to 'steele' normally starting on their chests. I like steels, their pretty.

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Shara » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 pm

She's very pretty! I love it...do they eventually turn completely colored, right now she still has a black face and ears.
~Winston Churchill

I Aspire
To be as strong as a man
As beautiful as a woman
As truthful as a child

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Miss M » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 pm

I don't know anything... except that she's a pretty bun! :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Post Number:#9  Unread postby EviesTulipsRabbitry » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:24 am

Thanks, She is sure cute.

But if she's not a good Sandy. She wants to keep the best! We dont want all these mis-mark (non-showable,breedable) Rabbits.

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Honorine » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 am

I didn't say that she wasn't showable, my light grays were not wideband and sometimes we did alright with them. I asked what colors her parents were because if she had a light gray parent that could explain why her color was a bit off, and help you decide what to do with her. You see Flemish folks are really freaky about color, and yes crossing sandies to light grays causes washed out sandies and smutty grays. It still could just be baby coat.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby EviesTulipsRabbitry » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 am

I think she haves just Sandy, But im not sure. I will have to ask my aunt that haves the bunny