Register

Mini Rex Popples!

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
1 year of membership
Great Britain Female
BunnyBucks: 185.00

Mini Rex Popples!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rosalaun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:23 am

So surprised by this doe - 6 kits on her first litter! Typically I was a bit too excited and put the wrong lens on the camera, so please excuse the blurriness - hopefully I can get some better ones later on.

Looking like 4 blues, 1 black, and 1 mystery colour. The doe is a black self (carrying blue and orange) - we've recently found that her dam also carries chocolate- and the buck is blue otter carrying chocolate. The skin on the mystery kit is how it shows on the photos, pink bodied with grey on the ears, around the face and rear end. I think it's coming through with a little bit of blue/lilac fuzz, but it's a little difficult to tell just yet... interested to see what colour this one actually is!
Edited to add that they're 2 days old at the moment.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Re: Mini Rex Popples!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Marinea » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am

Congrats! Beautiful kits.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,088.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Cute! That mystery color one is a tortoise, looks like some of the blue-ish looking ones may be otters too
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

1 year of membership
Great Britain Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Rosalaun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you both!
And thanks Sable - I'd totally forgotten that tort was a colour. Not that common in rex over here. I'm guessing this may be a blue tort as her sides match the blue kits more than the black? Never considered it from this buck, he's throwing out all sorts of things I didn't expect - all 7 of his littermates were blue otters. I'm thinking the black may be self, and possibly one of the blues too. Enjoying working out his colour profile for sure.

Having never bred a tort before, the clear demarcation from back to belly colour is really unusual.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,088.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SableSteel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:46 pm

It could be either, but it looks more like a black tortoise to me, usually the red over the back is more washed-out looking on a blue tort
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,377.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby AmberRae » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pm

It looks like black tortise to me :) you don't see it very much in rex and it is such a pretty color. Congrats

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,701.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 pm

What snuggly little ones you have there, Rosalaun! Congrats on the popples! :)

1 year of membership
Great Britain Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Rosalaun » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Huh, interesting! Thanks, will have to see what shade we end up with as that one grows... and have the debate of 'if it's a doe I might keep it maybe?' lol

And thanks Nymphadora - the nest she's made is ridiculous, I'm surprised she has any fur left and every time I look they're drowning in fluff. Feel a little mean pulling it off to check them xD

United States of America

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Nymphadora » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Rosalaun wrote:And thanks Nymphadora - the nest she's made is ridiculous, I'm surprised she has any fur left and every time I look they're drowning in fluff. Feel a little mean pulling it off to check them xD

I wish my does would take a lesson from her, then! My girls have been content to dig all the nesting material out of the box, and Judy hardly pulled any fur at all last time around... then again, they're not due for another week, so maybe they'll snap to sooner rather than later! :lol:

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,593.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Real nice popples, Rosalaun! :)

When a doe pulls more fur than is needed, it's a good idea to remove and save the extra for those times when a doe doesn't pull enough. There are substitutes you can use, but nothing is better than real rabbit fur for popples.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

1 year of membership
Great Britain Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Rosalaun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 am

They're such clever critters really! I had another first-timer due at the same time as this girl, she'd been nesting for the last 2 weeks (had to give her a box far too early), made a lovely nest, destroyed it the day before kindling and had her kits in a flat box. Then after I'd removed the dead kits, she was back to making a nest again :? I'm sure yours will get the idea at the last second just to keep you on your toes :P

And fair point Maggie, I've just been out and taken about half off the top - we're just starting on a cold snap this week so don't want to shock them too much.

Another quick photo-bomb because I could stare at these guys all day. Excuse the black marker pen in the ears! The 'black' has decided to be a bit chocolate-flavoured for today:

The tort is brightening up nicely:

And the blues aren't really doing anything exciting:

One has decided to be self though which is pretty useful! And one consistently shows up on photos as paler than the rest (ohh lilac?), but I will just carry on calling it a blue for now, they all look very similar in life. Had a quick go at the early sexing business, not convinced I'm too accurate as apparently the black/choc is the only doe :o Will wait and see on that.

The following user would like to thank Rosalaun for this post
Nymphadora

Site Supporter
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 140.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Dani4Hedgies » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 am

AWWW they are soo cute I can't wait to have popples :)

1 year of membership
Great Britain Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Rosalaun » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:09 am

Been a bit of a break but here they are at 3 weeks and 5 days - always a fun job trying to get them to stay still long enough to get an in-focus photo. Looking at keeping the tort (still not 100% on sex yet) to try and have a play with breeding the colour out, and the chocolate (still looking to be a doe) will be kept to grow on and likely be replacing her dam later in the year. The face of the 2nd rabbit from the left is definitely adorable though.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,377.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby AmberRae » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 pm

They are absolutely gorgeous!

United States of America

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:11 pm

:shock:
How long and how many photos did it take for you to get all the buns so perfectly in line?! :P
:bow:

They look adorable, all of them!!! :oops:

Next