Register

worm bin dilemma

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 80.00

worm bin dilemma

Post Number:#1  Unread postby justfine505 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I put my rabbit cages over my worm bin (permaculture style), but all the worms died! I'm sure it's because of the urine. Does anyone have experience with this? What can I do to make this system work?

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,779.00

Re: worm bin dilemma

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SatinsRule » Mon May 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Something which may work a bit better would be to till up the ground first, then put the worms down. The worms are going to need to be able to go into the ground at some point, and doing so if/when the soil is too hard becomes impossible.

Watering the ground from time to time may help, too, as will putting down some sort of surface covering (i.e. shavings, leaf mulch, grass mulch) to prevent the ground from hardening and drying out as fast.
The satin artist/breeder formerly known as Billylilwigeon.

"Luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it... The man who can smile at his breaks and grab his chances gets on.”
-- Samuel Goldwyn

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,354.00

Re: worm bin dilemma

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon May 16, 2011 2:34 pm

There is quite a bit of discussion of vermicomposting in the Other Ways to Profit from Rabbits forum. I'm moving this topic to that forum to keep the topic together.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .