Register

Now is the time to sell your "bunny berries"!

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Now is the time to sell your "bunny berries"!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Over the past week, I have made a little over $100 selling bagged rabbit manure to gardeners. :money:

If any of you wants to do the same, feel free to copy any of the text from my ad!

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grd/4919088549.html

Rabbit Manure- GOLD for your garden!!!

Rabbit manure bagged and ready to apply to your garden. Looks great as a mulch, and is nature's best "time released" fertilizer!

Delivery to Bakersfield or Tehachapi is available. Next scheduled delivery date for Tehachapi is Friday March 20th.

******INTRODUCTORY OFFER!!! 5 OR MORE BAGS FOR $5 EACH!!!******

Warning: once you start feeding your garden with "Bunny Berries" you will never go back to commercial fertilizer. Highly sought after by Rose growers!

Bagged in 50lb feed sacks by volume, not weight.

1 bag $9.00
5 bags $35.00 ***SAVE $10.00!***
10 bags $60.00 ***SAVE $30.00!***
20 bags $100 ***SAVE $80.00!***

Unlike chicken, steer or horse manure, rabbit manure is a cold manure. There is no need to compost it before applying to your plants.

It slowly disintegrates, releasing the nutrients back into the soil for your plants to use. In the meantime, the remaining "bunny-berry" helps build the structure of your soil by adding stability, porosity and attracting beneficial organisms to the area.

Rabbit manure is higher in nitrogen than sheep, goat, pig, chicken, cow or horse manure. Plants need nitrogen to produce lush, green growth.

How common manures measure up N-P-K

Rabbit 2.4 1.4 .60
Chicken 1.1 .80 .50
Dairy cow .25 .15 .25
Horse .70 .30 .60
Steer .70 .30 .40
Sheep .70 .30 .90

Sources: Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening, An Illustrated Guide to
Organic Gardening, by Sunset Publishing, and the Rodale Guide to Composting.

IMG_5568 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5568 - Copy.JPG (515.41 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
IMG_8125.JPG
IMG_8125.JPG (533.21 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
IMG_8124.JPG
IMG_8124.JPG (598.4 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
baefull.wolfbunnies

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,373.00

Re: Now is the time to sell your "bunny berries"!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm not ready to sell mine yet, I don't think I have enough. I would love to reuse this text. Thanks
I absolutely love evee, the pokemon and all iterations of it remind me of rabbits and all the various breeds

Avid Gardener, 1 Cinnamon; Amos, 1 French Angora X Beveren doe; Blue Pouff, their daughter Latte, 1 Thrianta buck; Adobo

"I have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night" Sarah Williams "The Old Astronomer"

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:09 pm

baefull.wolfbunnies wrote:I'm not ready to sell mine yet, I don't think I have enough.

I think that means you need more rabbits. :mrgreen:

baefull.wolfbunnies wrote:I would love to reuse this text. Thanks

No problem. Bumping the price up for smaller quantities and then offering the "Introductory Offer" seems to have created a bit of a frenzy. ;)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

Post Number:#4  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote: I think that means you need more rabbits. :mrgreen:

:P :x MORE!! I already have 5. That's almost the city limit. where I live you can have 6 "adult livestock" before needing to license your animals and property. Kinda puts a damper on my bunny projects. Also I think my husband would throw a fit if I got anymore. As it is he can't go into the backyard without having to take allergy meds afterwards
I absolutely love evee, the pokemon and all iterations of it remind me of rabbits and all the various breeds

Avid Gardener, 1 Cinnamon; Amos, 1 French Angora X Beveren doe; Blue Pouff, their daughter Latte, 1 Thrianta buck; Adobo

"I have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night" Sarah Williams "The Old Astronomer"

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Ah, well, with only five, you need to keep those bunny berries for yourself! $5 bucks a bag is a steal of a deal, in my opinion.

If I didn't generate a bag or two a day, I wouldn't be selling the stuff for any price.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Post Number:#6  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:21 pm

yeah. The garden is going to look so good this year.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,787.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby katiebear » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Maybe a little off topic but do you use the berries with the hay mixed in??We use Bermuda grass hay and no matter how we feed it ends up on the ground with the berries.. :x

Post Number:#8  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 pm

I separate out the large pieces of Timothy and put them in a garbage can, the berries and small pieces I put directly on the plants and then use the large pieces as weed choke.

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:02 pm

katiebear wrote:Maybe a little off topic but do you use the berries with the hay mixed in?? We use Bermuda grass hay and no matter how we feed it ends up on the ground with the berries.. :x

Bermuda grass is the essence of evil. :angry: I use it in my nest boxes, and then have bermuda grass popping up everywhere. Best advice; pull the grass as son as it pops up. Otherwise the war against it will last for years.
Victory Garden Rabbits

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 20,672.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:57 am

Just a thought MSD, but have you considered going to local nurseries and wholesaling the berries? There is a local guy near us who wants ours, but we are expanding our gardens this year and don't want to run out. Once that's finished, I am thinking of going to him and a local feed store and see what happens.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I just have to brag a little! :P

In the past two days I have netted $205 in bunny berry sales! :money:

One guy yesterday bought 31 of the 36 bags I was able to stuff into my little cargo trailer! He would have taken all of it, but 5 bags were spoken for already.

I am so pleased- I now have $240 bucks set aside from bunny berry sales alone to go toward my next purchase of rabbit feed! I buy one ton at a time at $440, and have barely made a dent in my last ton. I fully expect to cover my feed costs and have profit above and beyond!!! :greedy:

So- if you haven't started selling your "extra" rabbit poop yet, :gettowork: !
Victory Garden Rabbits

BunnyBucks: 12,964.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Susie570 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Congrats, MSD!! :D
That's inspiring :)
Interested in running a forum for Lop rabbits? Ask me.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,983.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:I am so pleased- I now have $240 bucks set aside from bunny berry sales alone to go toward my next purchase of rabbit feed! I buy one ton at a time at $440, and have barely made a dent in my last ton. I fully expect to cover my feed costs and have profit above and beyond!!!

Wow! Congratulations!! AND the ultimate example of recycling: what comes out is being sold to pay for what goes in again...

BunnyBucks: 4,311.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby WhWRabbitry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:46 pm

This is awesome and so kind of you to share your ad and how you go about it!!
I don't have enough bunny berries to make out like that though, wow.
This is definitely worth considering for sure for those that have a place to store it.
Do you bag it up all year round or just when close to spring?
Does it get sifted and go directly into those bags or do you dry it out a bit first or anything?

Post Number:#15  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Syberchick70 wrote:Congrats, MSD!! :D
That's inspiring :)

Thank you! I must admit, I am just gloating with pride here! :D Seriously, it's kind of ridiculous, but there you have it. :oops:

the reluctant farmer wrote:AND the ultimate example of recycling: what comes out is being sold to pay for what goes in again...

And in the same bag, too! How funny is that?!?

WhWRabbitry wrote:Do you bag it up all year round or just when close to spring?

All year. That's how I amassed all of these bags to sell for spring planting- bagged it up over winter.

WhWRabbitry wrote:Does it get sifted and go directly into those bags or do you dry it out a bit first or anything?

I use slant boards, not pans, so most of it stays dry. I just sweep the bunny berries out from underneath the cages and put it directly into the bags. I avoid the "pee spots" and have been using that here in our beds- but I am thinking that if I rake those areas and just reposition the pile of bunny berries to an area that doesn't get peed on it will be dry enough a few days later when I bag up the next round.
Victory Garden Rabbits

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
WhWRabbitry

Next