Register

first step towards commercial rabbitry started.

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,649.00

first step towards commercial rabbitry started.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Demamma » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I decided to start slowly in starting my commercial rabbitry. I bought some more used cages at a good price. My Mom is very supportive and told me to go for it and sent me money to help get a few more cages. I moved 5 of my NEW Zealand Whites Does to my x' s house into my old milk room. I have 3 Jr does I will move over there today. I plan on getting up to 50 does. I will be calling around some more tomorrow to find a butcher. I can't have a normal job as I have to be able to drop everything if the school calls about my boys with difficulties. I need to do something productive and I love working with animals so at least I will have something positive to fill my time. If I do well and make enough money I will need to look into moving to a better set up but this is a start. I am excited about this so wanted to share.
[album][url=http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image.2290[/album]

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Re: first step towards commercial rabbitry started.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby grumpy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Best of luck to you........now show some pics.

grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Demamma » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:45 pm

I will try to get pictures this week on my phone. Not much to show just white rabbits in cages.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 am

Best of luck. Hope the venture does really well for you.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

BunnyBucks: 2,575.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby owlsfriend » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 am

This seems like a possibly workable situation for you and I hope it works out. We will help in every way possible, as you know, because that's the kind of folks Rabbit Talk people are!!!! Long live rabbit raisers!!!! (Rabble Rousers?)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 770.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby GypsyTinker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

Awesome, Demamma!

NZW are the way to go, for profit.

I might suggest looking in to fodder as a food source. It could save you more than 50% on your feed! Larger litters too!

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Demamma » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 am

Thank you all for your kind support. I just bought 2 amazing New Zealand white does and a buck. They are huge conmpared to mine of the same age. That brings my New Zealand's up to 9 does and 2 bucks. I also got 3 Cream D'Argents does and 1 buck. Hope to expand to more later and get some Americans. I have a good friend who is growing g fodder for me. He is a bit up the hill from me so I stop by whenever I can and fill up the van. I have been giving the rabbits pellets in the am and fodder in the pm. I give a tuna can size of pellets and start with a handful of fodder. When they are used to it they end up getting as much as my two hands can hold. I am not sure exactly how much to feed. I have been taking the extra fodder and setting it out for hay. I am going to try and talk to some labs about buying rabbits since I am having such hard times with finding a butcher.

BunnyBucks: 2,765.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby CWD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 am

I hope this works out well for you. Living in Ca. the state Gov. has to try and have their hands in everything.
one of the reasons I had to close my Locksmith business after 9 years.
Lucky for me I have a person in my local Ag. office who is willing to work with me in reguards to selling rabbit meat.
I guess it helps he is also a customer. LOL

BunnyBucks: 620.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby WallTenter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

Start tracking expenses. If you don't have a background in agricultural accounting, I would highly suggest a crash coarse. You can probably find an ag management book online used pretty cheap, or free through your library :D . Us college students try to sell them if we can even if the bookstore does not buy them back (it is not being used the next term, sometimes a new edition comes out, changed professors or just the professor changed their mind, it sucks because our $200 books are now worth zilch)

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Demamma » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 am

Great idea wall. I have been writing everything down in a composition notebook.