Register

Would this bunny make a good show rabbit?

Discussion of rabbit shows, news and events and tips about showing your rabbits.
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Would this bunny make a good show rabbit?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby sam16 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 am

I am very new to the bunny world and I'm looking for a rabbit i can start showing with. I found this cute dutch rabbit and was wondering if he's worth the time. its a boy btw
:arrow2: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14874983_1140520842650910_668824467_n.jpg?oh=40489663d90e15526f1f00d7fee182a6&oe=58194666

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,893.00

Re: Would this bunny make a good show rabbit?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:14 am

It's hard to see from this picture (Dutch have a lot of points given to the line on the belly, the face markings and the back feet, and this rabbit isn't posed well so I can't see his body type). Unless he has a DQ that I can't see, he looks like he is showable. His cheeks are bit high, and his ears a bit too long, and his stops are longer than I'd like, but from here it looks like he a good saddle. Keep in mind that dutch can be rather competitive in some parts of the nation, and that they are hard to breed because of their markings (but they are usually very friendly). Good luck.
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,407.00

Re: Would this bunny make a good show rabbit?

Post Number:#3  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:42 pm

sam16 wrote:I am very new to the bunny world and I'm looking for a rabbit i can start showing with. I found this cute dutch rabbit and was wondering if he's worth the time. its a boy btw
:arrow2: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58194666

Hi Sam16
I'm new to showing rabbits... I spent a lot of time going to rabbit shows with a friend before even starting to narrow down the breed of rabbit I wanted to breed for show.
I would suggest going to shows and looking at the breeds; talk to breeders; get the standards book; watch the rabbits being shown. Do you like calm relaxed rabbits? Small rabbits? large? How much cage space do you have?

Sometimes you can even buy from a breeder at the shows and get a mentor at the same time.
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/