Register

French lops and crossbreeding

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
BunnyBucks: 31.00

French lops and crossbreeding

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Bluess » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:01 pm

I have a French lop doe and was wondering if it could be bred to a rex and the outcome

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,053.00

Re: French lops and crossbreeding

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:18 pm

You'd probably get normal furred rabbits with ears that can be anything from lopped to normal, but most likely in between lopped and normal.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
Bluess

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,700.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm

you can breed any breed to any breed within reason - they are all the same species. if there's a drastic size difference, you always want your doe to be the largest, however. you will not be able to show crossbreeds, but mixed bunnies often are sold as pets or used as meat. i would imagine that cross would produce a decent meat rabbit, but a french lop may have more bone than is generally desirable since they get so big.

a french lop x rex will be a larger rabbit with a normal fur type and likely a slightly rounded head. the ears may or may not be lopped - i crossed a meat mutt to a mini lop and out of 9 kits only 3 had lopped ears, and only one ear was lopped.

since the rex fur is recessive, the rabbits need two copies of the gene to have a rex coat, so a first generation outcross would have normal fur. if you bred one of the kits back to the father, or to each other, then a percentage of the offspring would have rex coats.
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
Bluess

BunnyBucks: 31.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Bluess » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 pm

SableSteel wrote:You'd probably get normal furred rabbits with ears that can be anything from lopped to normal, but most likely in between lopped and normal.

What if I were to breed my doe with a Holland lop buck would it be to small or to a French lop mix

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,290.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ozemba » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 pm

If you did a Holland x mini lop cross you'd have offspring with lopped ears, smaller than a mini but bigger than a Holland. Hollands have shorter ears than Minis, so that would be a toss up as to how long the offsprings' ears would be. You'd basically get a rounded bigger version of a Holland I'm guessing.

A mini lop x mini lop cross depends on what the mlop x is crossed with, does the cross have lopped ears, regular fur, etc..

The following user would like to thank ozemba for this post
Bluess

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,667.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 am

Here is our Holland/Mini cross and her baby. They have more Holland than Mini. The mom weighs 4 1/2 lbs. You will basically get a small lop eared rabbit that will be so cute, but do terrible on the show table :bunnyhop:
2017-12-14 23.41.48.jpg
2017-12-14 23.41.48.jpg (356.43 KiB) Viewed 200 times

2017-12-14 23.41.35.jpg
2017-12-14 23.41.35.jpg (589.64 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Ozarkansas Rabbits and Cavies
Raising quality purebred Beveren, Dutch, English Spot, Holland Lop, and Tan rabbits. As well as White Crested cavies. Primarily for show in NW Arkansas.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

The following user would like to thank Ozarkansas for this post
Bluess