Register

Breeding colors together help!

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Breeding colors together help!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby livlovebunnies » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31 am

Im new to breeding mini lops and i want to breed some of my does. I have 2 frosted pearl does and was wondering what color buck should i use? I want to show them only for 4h though. So is theres certain colors that shouldn't be bred together?
Can I use a Broken Chestnut buck on my frosted pearls? I can't find any frosted pearl bucks what other color can I use! Please help! :troll: :troll:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,929.00

Re: Breeding colors together help!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

You can use a broken chestnut. Mini lops aren't super strict on color, and they accept almost anything.
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
livlovebunnies

BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby livlovebunnies » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you! Do you think babies would be 4h showable? And what about new zealands what colors can be bred together? I have a broken black, white with black ears and nose and a red new zealand any suggestions on what color buck to use?

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,929.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 pm

If the parents were show quality, theres a good chance the babies may be.

NZ are bit harsher with their colors. You should only breed the broken black to a solid black, and you should only breed the red to a red or broken red. additionally, whites should only be bred to whites. If you mix colors, you could get unshowable varieties like chestnut and steel.
I have shown: argente brun, Belgian hare, Britannia petite, dutch, English spot, Flemish giant, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Holland lop, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, netherland dwarf, new Zealand, polish, standard chinchilla, tan, velveteen lop; American & coronet cavies; muffed ice pigeons, parlour tumblers, frillbacks; brahma, dutch chickens; cortunix quail
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE