Register

True vs False Netherland Dwarf

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 297.00

True vs False Netherland Dwarf

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Mrr » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm

So my boyfriend and I have decided to move ahead with looking for a breeding pair of Netherland Dwarf rabbits, and while I'm still in the research phase of it all I've started to learn that there is an awful lot going on with their genetics. The part that I'm having some confusion over however, is what exactly a false dwarf is - appearance wise. I know that they are bigger and have slightly different appearances, but how do you tell?

When I look at a ND show breeder's website I see these as the breed examples. Squishy, flat face.. Tiny ears.. Big head. I'm assuming this is what a "true dwarf" looks like, correct?
2748981.jpg
2748981.jpg (43.95 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Then, I have a breeder that wants to sell me this buck.. He's not very flat faced and his ears look bigger than the one in the last picture.. but he has papers saying that he is a purebred. Would this be an example of a "false dwarf"?
00a0a_jHhlksXdVnZ_1200x900.jpg
00a0a_jHhlksXdVnZ_1200x900.jpg (194.55 KiB) Viewed 526 times

And furthermore, if he IS a false dwarf, is that necessarily a bad thing to have as my breeding buck? From what I've read, breeding a false to a true will eliminate the odds of any peanuts, is that true? My boyfriend really wants to buy him, but should I be looking for a true dwarf instead?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,952.00

Re: True vs False Netherland Dwarf

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:36 pm

If he is a purebred and a false dwarf he is not a very good example by show standards and I would pass on him as a herd sire

Also it is much better to have false dwarf females covered by a true dwarf buck as the true dwarf does are MUCH more likely to have difficulty giving birth.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,411.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:36 am

I've seen false dwarf females and they look like the first picture just bigger and longer in the body.

So I'd look for a true dwarf buck and false dwarf does. :)
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 297.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Mrr » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm

I found a better picture of him.. he looks much more flat faced than the first picture I saw. Thoughts?

FB_IMG_1471977238187.jpg
FB_IMG_1471977238187.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 507 times

I may have another breeder lined up to sell me a false doe. She said she normally tries to get rid of them as she doesn't like them in her breeding program, so hopefully I can find something from her

Thanks for the help guys!

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 965.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby AprilW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Because your buck will likely breed more of your does, you want to get the best buck you can buy. I'm not sure if you are wanting to show, but if so, I would pass on the buck you shared.

Definitely use false dwarf does if you are using them at all. A false dwarf doe will also be able to have larger litters more safely.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits