Register

Good breed for a small child?

How to help your child get the most from a pet rabbit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 730.00

Good breed for a small child?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby equestrian<3 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 pm

My younger sister wants to show a rabbit because I am, and I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good breed for a child? Fairly small, docile, good temperament, easy to handle? She really wants a polish or a thrianta, but that will just depend on the rabbit itself. :lilbunny:
Pretty in pink but wicked in spurs!

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Re: Good breed for a small child?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby eco2pia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 pm

How young? under about 7-8 I think the only good rabbit is stuffed. But at 8 I would think, mini rex, Maaaybe holland lop, mini lop...I think the polish might be fiesty, but you would have to check the individual, I know a few people have lovey ones. Whatever you get go with a BUCK!! Way nicer temperaments as a rule.

If she is under 8, she will need constant supervision unless she is an exceptional child. Don't get me wrong, I had one of those--but I have also had the other kind!

BunnyBucks: 34,175.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:45 am

If there's an experienced parent overseeing and you can find rabbits with good markings Dutch have great personalities at around 5lbs and usually not huge competition in shows because no one wants to deal with the details of the markings when you can just go breed basic mini rex or mini lop colors. MR have so much competition though that you either have spend a lot of time looking and get lucky to find good rabbits that aren't expensive or buy your way on to the table with $100+ rabbits. It seems everyone has a couple mini rex sitting around come show day and everyone accomplishes popping out at least one good show quality rabbit at some point that they keep around for every show they have space to haul another to. If I were going with a common breed like that I'd check what the least common colors were at local shows so I could at least compete well in a certain color variety.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,721.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:54 am

polish are nice rabbits. meet the parents if you can and see what they are like. I find most of them to be absolutely delightful but have heard stories about how is some parts of the countries they have some wild minded ones.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

BunnyBucks: 6,555.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby curlysue » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 am

Polish.Jersey woolies,fuzzy lops excellent temperments,Holland lops,mini rex .himilayan.Notice i didnt mention Netherland dwarfs i love mine but i dont reccomend them for children under the age of 10.See the parents i believe temperment is hereditary.

BunnyBucks: 80.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby TeamHillbilly » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am

Mini rex would be a good breed are we talking city or farmkid?? if your on the farm a meat breed like NZ-whites,or Calf.

Post Number:#7  Unread postby equestrian<3 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

She is 10 & city. The main thing is calm and small.

BunnyBucks: 2,325.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby PulpFaction » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:36 pm

A Thrianta buck could be very good. :) (I would definitely go with a buck, though.)
Rachel
Thriantas and Silver Fox in Anchorage, AK
http://www.haikuheritage.weebly.com <-- NEW WEBSITE!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Haiku-Heritage/180319155321429 <-- JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK!

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,330.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby HendricksHearth » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:24 am

Mini Lops! Most have excellent temperaments from day one, are a great small size without being too delicate, have a beautiful coat, come in a huge variety of colors, are adorable with those chunkamonk faces, are easy to raise, are good eaters, and if push comes to shove they can make fine utility rabbits for the family homestead, too.

Best of luck,

Lauren

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Saidinjester » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 am

I suggest a Himalayan. They are a small rabbit and are well known to have calm personalities. I have one and he is a total doll, very calm. He loves to be held and pet, lets me do anything to him and just puts up with it (nail clipping, brushing, etc). He is also super friendly, I can't walk past his cage without him running to stick his nose up for a pet.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby equestrian<3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm

We are definitely going with a buck because I have a buck and even though they won't be in the same room I don't want to take any chances ;) How big are the mini lops? Do they get bigger than the hollands?

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,721.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am

mini lops I believe reach 6-8 lbs.. holland lops are generally in the 3-5 lb range.
I could be wrong about the mini lops...but they are bigger than the holland lops
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 10,839.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Cattle Cait » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:41 pm

I'd go with a Himilayan as a first choice. I've never met a mean one and they are small and easy to handle. If for some reason you can't get a Himi, go for a Dutch, Mini Lop, or Mini Rex, in that order.
Caitlin C
Webberville, MI
The Domestication of Cattle Cait
http://cattlecait.blogspot.com/

"In Cattle Cait country, you not feed rabbit, but rabbit feed you."

BunnyBucks: 476.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby downonthefarm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

ladysown wrote:mini lops I believe reach 6-8 lbs.. holland lops are generally in the 3-5 lb range.
I could be wrong about the mini lops...but they are bigger than the holland lops

A typical mini lop will weigh about 6 to 7 lbs. They are a good choice for children. They're usually friendly and aren't too small or too big for a child to handle.
Bauer's Old Barn Rabbitry
Raising quality French Lops, Mini Lops, New Zealand Whites

BunnyBucks: 2,315.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Pickles » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Mini Lop would be a wonderful choice. They are not as small & delicate as a Holland and they are very friendly. :)

Next