Register

Recent Rabbit Spinnings

Keeping rabbits for their wool and methods of using it.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,481.00

Recent Rabbit Spinnings

Post Number:#1  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 am

Been working on adding new stock to the Etsy store, so naturally I've been spinning like a mad woman lately. Here are some of the recent yarns.

Sport weight REW, Lace weight Red, Red, Chestnut, Opal, and Black.
I'm in love with the natural colors, so I had to share. :)

Okay, back to my wheel! Hubby's sweater won't spin itself!
Attachments
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG (143.38 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Postage Stamp Farm Rabbitry
*Breeding German Angoras and hybrids*

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,653.00

Re: Recent Rabbit Spinnings

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am

BEAUTIFUL!

THIS is what makes me think Angora is in my future.
I love the yarn and I love rabbits....
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
PSFAngoras

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,388.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Homer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:22 am

That's amazing PSF. How someone can take a pile of fur and turn it into yarn baffles me. How long does it take to spin one of those.

It does however make me wonder, how does a potholder get turned into a sweater?

Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
PSFAngoras

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,576.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am

I love the opal and the black! Why bother dyeing when the natural colors are so gorgeous! How many ounces are you spinning at a time for those skeins and how much is the final yardage, if you don't mind me asking?

:in_love:
(Please don't mind the drool on my keyboard...)

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
PSFAngoras

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 59,108.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:18 am

Subtle, natural colours, wonderful texture, and just oh-so-totally-gorgeous overall! :love: :love: :love:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
PSFAngoras

Site Supporter

Post Number:#6  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am

@ Homer: I love angora particularly because you can take a pile of fluff and directly make it into yarn. It's usually very free of vegetable matter, and it doesn't have lanolin, so you don't have to go through the lengthy process of washing, picking, and carding like you do with wool. I just wash it after spinning. As far as time, I probably should figure it into my spinning and therefore pricing, but I don't really keep track of it. The thinner the yarn is, the longer it takes to spin, since you're creating more yardage. If i had to guess, each of these probably took about 2 hours to spin, give or take.

As far as how to make a pot holder into a sweater, I couldn't tell you, but if you put a sweater in the dryer you'll end up with a pot holder!!! :)

@ Nymphadora: I don't measure out my fiber before I spin, i just go for it. I don't show often, so I brush out their coats every week, regardless if they're molting or not. I often get an ounce or two in between molts and a few ounces when they do molt. When it's spun depends on how much other wool I have to spin and my available free time. If I wait to spin for a couple of molts, I usually get monster skeins that are 6-700 yards spun at fingering weight. I'm starting to break the larger skeins into smaller skeins by yardage though just because that seems to be what people like to buy. I prefer the larger skeins myself, but as I own the bunnies I don't have to factor cost into my projects.

The skeins are as follows:
REW - 54 yards of Sport-DK weight, 1.1 oz
Red (both skeins turned out the same)- 83 yards lace, 0.9 oz
Chestnut - 144 yards lace, 1.2 oz
Opal- 84 yards, 0.8 oz
Black- 137 yards, 1.1 oz

The following user would like to thank PSFAngoras for this post
Nymphadora

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,675.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Those look great! I'll have to teach myself how to spin once my pile of fluff box gets too full XD I'll probly mix mine a bit so it wont be as high quality but we'll see :/ I have 2 english angora lionhead mix and a pure english angora. the pure is a marpie but 98% white, one of the cross is a full white and the other is a blue vienna marked so it'll be a varying white with bits of grey through it when I spin it (unless I just end up using it as plushie stuffing)

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
PSFAngoras

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,555.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby shazza » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:43 pm

ohh that red yarn is beautiful! i don't think i could ever handle the grooming requirements of angora, but i shall live vicariously through you guys! maybe when i get a wheel and get decent i'll have to hit you guys up for some fluff to work with! in the meantime i feel like a soft red scarf may be in my future...
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

The following user would like to thank shazza for this post
PSFAngoras

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:55 pm

PSFAngoras wrote: As far as how to make a pot holder into a sweater, I couldn't tell you, but if you put a sweater in the dryer you'll end up with a pot holder!!! :)

I can vouch for this!!! Ruined one of my favorite sweaters a few years back... :evil: :lol:

PSFAngoras wrote:@ Nymphadora: I don't measure out my fiber before I spin, i just go for it. I don't show often, so I brush out their coats every week, regardless if they're molting or not. I often get an ounce or two in between molts and a few ounces when they do molt. When it's spun depends on how much other wool I have to spin and my available free time. If I wait to spin for a couple of molts, I usually get monster skeins that are 6-700 yards spun at fingering weight. I'm starting to break the larger skeins into smaller skeins by yardage though just because that seems to be what people like to buy. I prefer the larger skeins myself, but as I own the bunnies I don't have to factor cost into my projects.

The skeins are as follows:
REW - 54 yards of Sport-DK weight, 1.1 oz
Red (both skeins turned out the same)- 83 yards lace, 0.9 oz
Chestnut - 144 yards lace, 1.2 oz
Opal- 84 yards, 0.8 oz
Black- 137 yards, 1.1 oz

Thank you for figuring all that out for me! I like the monster balls of yarn as well, personally. Why make a join in your work when you don't have to? :mrgreen:
Do you have a jumbo bobbin for those oversize skeins? I don't think I'd be able to spin more than 6 oz. at a time on my wheel currently, but I'd love to make even bigger skeins... :oops:

Site Supporter

Post Number:#10  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't have a jumbo bobbin. My largest skeins are about 6-7 oz of fingering weight, it's all he Kromski bobbins will hold. I had heard that Kromski was going to make a super size flyer and bobbin, almost twice the size of the jumbo, for the Sonata sometime this year, but I haven't heard anything yet.

As it stands, I think my winter project will be to build a very crude version of an Ashford Country Spinner, with a giant plying bobbin for much larger skeins with pegs that I can stick in the face of the wheel so it doubles as a skein winder. . I hate skeining off the larger skeins by hand on my kniddy knoddy. Takes forever!! If I can find a good place to mount my yard counter than it will be like an all inclusive finishing wheel!!

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:04 pm

That winter project of yours sounds fantastic, PSFAngoras ;)
I need to figure out something other than a niddy noddy to wind those lengthy skeins up, too, my arms were starting to ache last time. I like the look of the big 'ole skein winders, I just don't have the space for one right now. Maybe if your plans go well I can buy a copy of the plans off you? :lol:

I was seriously tempted to buy the jumbo flyer and bobbins for the Ashford Kiwi that I own, but they're so expensive! I have to sell a lot more yarn if I'm gonna try to afford one of those by next year...

Final question (for now, I'm sure there'll be more later): What does your yard counter look like and how does it work? I'd love to have something that keeps track as I spin...

Site Supporter

Post Number:#12  Unread postby PSFAngoras » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 pm

I kinda just wing things, I'm not good at following plans, but I'll certainly post pictures when o get around to building it. :)

I know what you mean, the jumbo flyers are VERY expensive!!. That's another reason I thought of just building my own wheel. I'll probably have as much in parts as it would cost to buy a super sized flyer. The kit for the wheels they do come for already is like $250, and each additional bobbin is $40 or so. My wheel is one of the higher up models Kromski has to offer and it was already $680. That's like half the wheel over again!!

My yardage counter is home built, but it's based off the Schacht model. They wanted like $200 for theirs though!! I built mine by mounting one of those little wheel on a stick foot counters that realtors use to measure houses to a board and adding a few eye hooks to keep the yarn in place. I also cut a groove in the wheel for the yarn to travel in. It needs a few more eyelets on the in feed side to keep better tension on the yarn so it doesn't slip on the wheel, but it works well when you get the tension right. It's meant to be used as you're winding your yarn onto the kniddy knoddy or ball winder. Just wrap your yarn in a full circle around the wheel and you're off! Cost maybe $40 to build, and that was with the shipping cost for the wheel in a stick thingy.

I used to have a cheap Susan Boye brand yard counter that looked like an egg. It was like $12 off eBay. I didn't realize how poorly it did until I tried the new yarn counter out. The Boye one was inconsistently off by as much as .2 yards per yard!!! It added yards instead of counting them short, so I had to go back and measure 4600 yards of yarn for my Etsy store yesterday to make sure I was listing the correct yardage. I wouldn't have bothered if the actual amount were over what I posted, I sell by weight so it doesn't matter, but I don't want people buying what is supposed to be 100 yards and then coming up 20 yards short for their project.
Attachments
IMG_3559.JPG
Home made yarn counter
IMG_3559.JPG (91.74 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Last edited by PSFAngoras on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,837.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby faiththequeen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm

That's amazing!!!! And the colors are so beautiful :in_love: You are very talented :goodjob:
Faith the Queen :king:

The following user would like to thank faiththequeen for this post
PSFAngoras

1 year of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 pm

:bow:
That's an awesome yard counter (and you're right, I couldn't find a decent one for under $100)... I might ask DH to make me one for my birthday!

A swift should be easy enough to build, too... :hmm:

Now that we're getting closer to the moving into our new home (closing escrow in the next week or so, fingers crossed) I'm finding more and more projects that I have to postpone until after we've moved. But there's a wonderful little extra bedroom that was previously used as an office that I think will become my new workspace and craft room. I'll have a big table for my sewing, lots of storage, and a lovely space by the window to spin all day long. So of course I'm planning way more projects than I possibly have time for in the next year. :P :lol:

If only spinning tools weren't so gosh darn pricey... I looked at getting a few extra bobbins for my Kiwi, but alas, they'd cost more than I can currently justify (since I can't actually start any major spinning projects for another few months). :roll:

At least I still have plenty of fiber... maybe I'll go dye some this weekend to take the edge off! :D

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 182.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby WVForestGirl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:08 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!! The colours are so beautiful, I want them all.
Spinning is on my list of things to start when I have more time. ;) Sounds like a great reason for more rabbit math. :?

The following user would like to thank WVForestGirl for this post
PSFAngoras

Next