Register

Recipes!

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Recipes!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Anntann » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:41 am

Right. If we're talking about meat, we need to know how to USE it!

Since I only have experience with wild rabbit...toss in the skillet in oil, add onions, eat....I'll just start the thread :P One of the reasons to start it is that I'll soon have fryers to test things on. Some of you have posted on other sites, I know, but maybe we can do a set of recipes for newbies here!

One of the top chefs in Chicago has said that rabbit is like chicken...it adapts to any cuisine.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,151.00

Golden Fried Rabbit

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:39 am

GOLDEN BROWN FRIED RABBIT

2 to 3 lb. fryer rabbit
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
butter/oil

Shake moist pieces of rabbit in plastic bag in flour and seasonings mix. Brown rabbit in butter/oil in heavy skillet, turning to brown evenly on all sides. Reduce heat, cover and cook slowly about 1 hour or until tender. For crisp crust on rabbit uncover for last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time. Serves 4 to 6.

this came from the Showbunny rabbit recipe site. http://www.showbunny.com/recipes_using_rabbit.html

I liked it, but I think next time I'll make it by deboning the rabbit first, and making it more like nuggets.
Last edited by ladysown on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
TMTex

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Re: Recipes!

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Brody » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 am

rabbit nuggets :hmm: :hmm:

can you imagine the :gun: war if Mcdonalds started carrying them?

:rotfl:
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 am

would get hubby eating them. He said I like the taste, can't handle the bones (but he doesn't like bones in anything).
ladysown

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 57,083.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:14 pm

Ladysown, one way to deal with your hubby's dislike of bones is to debone everything. You don't even have to be fussy about getting every last bit of meat if you are making soup or stock with the bones. It sure is nice to pull a package of boneless rabbit from the freezer and have it ready for use in stews, stir-fries, casseroles etc.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Anntann » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:32 pm

I think Mike is actually looking forward to the 4 legs being turned into BBQ wings :) (so to speak)

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Briza » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:23 pm

One Dish Rabbit Dinner

Pour a bit of olive oil in a large baking dish with a lid. Add rice just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Add water just to cover the rice by about one inch. Lay cut vegetables- carrots celery onions garlic or your favs on top of the rice and water.
Lay rabbit pieces or if your dish is large enough the entire rabbit on top of the veggies. Season however you like- we use lemon pepper by the bucket full and coarse salt and whatever herbs are handy at the time- normally rosemary. But any thing you like the flavor of is fine. Cover and cook on low heat -about 325 for two hours. The broth from the rabbit will flow down and flavor the rice and it will be so easy to serve a nice meal after you spent that 2 hours NOT in the kitchen. We have varied this approach with many combos- eastern seasoning- mexican style depending on what is in the garden. We have even made it with shredded cabbage. Easy and scrumptious because you retain all the flavor in the closed pot with little effort.

Another easy one is Rabbit Kraut. Lay your seasoned rabbit pieces in the oiled baking dish- cover with thinly sliced onions as many garlic cloves as you can stand to peel and a lot of sauerkraut juice included. Bake slowly and WOW what a great flavor. And cold the next day with spicy mustard mmmmmmm can't beat it.
Come on everyone! I know lots of rabbit cooks- share some great tastes!
B~

The following user would like to thank Briza for this post
Marian

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Marian » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 am

I am going to have try both those recipes,Briza, thank you for sharing. Man, I love easy!

This recipe is what I refer to as "How to get people who hate rabbit to love it". It comes from The Austrailian Women's Weekly and it uses chicken. I usually use cooked rabbit leftovers.

Lemon Cream Rabbit With Pasta

500g bow tie pasta (I use less and any short pasta will do)
1 tbsp olive oil
400g (about 1 lb, I use more)roughly chopped boneless rabbit
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp chicken stock (or 1 cube or 1 packet)
3/4 cup water (I usually omit chicken stock, water and use homemade rabbit or chicken stock)
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind (I use more)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 clove garlic crushed (I use 2)
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I omit this)

Cook pasta. Fry rabbit in wok with oil in batches and remove. (if using cooked rabbit, skip this part). Blend the remaining ingredients, minus the parsley, pour in the wok, stir until it boils and thickens. Add the stir-fried (or previously cooked rabbit), pasta and parsley, stir till hot. Serves 4 - 6.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, I can usually whip it up while the pasta is cooking.

Marian

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,644.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Truckinguy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 am

I need advice on making soup or stock. I printed off instructions from the internet about making stock, it said to simmer chicken for 4-5 hours which I did for the rabbit and at that time there was hardly any water left. So I'm kinda feeling like a dummy here! :oops: Any thoughts?

Canada Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 am

did you use LOTS of water? did you keep the pan covered?
ladysown

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:37 am

Yeah, you have to keep the pot covered and once it comes to the boil you need to turn it way down low so that it just barely bubbles. A crock pot is perfect for making stock.

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,644.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Truckinguy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Hmmm, I don't think I kept it covered, I used the biggest pot I have, I have a few buns overdue for camp so I'll try it again this weekend. Is there a ratio for how much water to use for a certain amount of carcass?

Feel like a bit of a tool, I've got some recipes down pretty good, totally no clue about others....

Site Supporter

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Anntann » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 pm

I have received a PROMISE that the grow out pen will be empty by Saturday and I will have MEAT to try some yummy recipes on. :bounce:

I suppose simple is the way to go the first time, hmmm?

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#14  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Truckinguy, I use about 3 rib sections for a crockpot of stock. It's hard to give exact measurements, but if you don't use enough rabbit the broth will be weak. If there is a lot of meat on the bones, you may want to pull the pieces out partway through, remove the meat and then return the bones to the stock pot. That way the meat won't lose all its flavour and can be added back to the soup in the final stages.

If you inadvertently do make the stock too watery, that is when you remove the lid and let it simmer awhile to reduce it. I like to throw in an onion with a few cloves pushed into it, a carrot, a couple of bay leaves and some black pepper, but some people prefer to leave the seasoning until the stock is made up into soup. Adding a cup or two of apple juice as part of the liquid gives the broth a lovely flavour... not sweet, but rich and mellow. Just a few ideas for you to play with!

__________ Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm __________

Ann, don't forget to age the meat in the fridge for 2 - 3 days before cooking or freezing it. A simple recipe is likely best for the first time or two. Do you have a favourite chicken recipe that you would enjoy adapting?

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Katduck

BunnyBucks: 2,397.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby DevonW » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:58 pm

1/2 cup Preferred Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tsp. grated gingerroot
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
5lb of rabbit meat
3/4 cup preferred Steak Sauce
20 hamburger buns, partially split

HEAT grill to medium heat.

MIX barbecue sauce, pineapple juice, ginger and garlic. Place meat in disposable foil pan; cover with barbecue sauce mixture. Refrigerate 20 min.

PLACE pan on grill grate; cover with lid of grill. Cook 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is done (160ºF). Remove from grill; cover with foil. Let stand 10 min.

SHRED meat with 2 forks; mix with steak sauce. Serve in buns.
Devon Ward - Certified Trick Dog Instructor and Pet Photographer.

The following user would like to thank DevonW for this post
Zuni4Rabbits

Next