Register

Concerned about J-feeder placement

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Jamaica Male
BunnyBucks: 135.00

Concerned about J-feeder placement

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Kent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:54 am

Hi folks. I read that some advise that the bottom of the J-feeder should be placed 4 inches above cage floor. However, I am concerned that the kits may struggle to reach it initially. What is the experience of RT members? I just built 8 cages that have the slot cut 4 inches above the floor but my older original cages have the J-feeders 2 inches above the floor. These new cages do not yet have bunnies.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,430.00

Re: Concerned about J-feeder placement

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I place mine 4 inches above the floor, [same for "bass feedsaver" feeders ]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Kent

Site Admin
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 60,803.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I don't think 4 inches off the floor will be a problem, but if it proves to be too high for very young kits you could give them a low dish until they grow a little or you could put a brick or a block of wood by the feeder to act as a step.

A brick against the end of the nest box (outside the box) is helpful if the kits leave the nest early. It acts a step to help them get back into the box when they need to warm up.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Kent

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,915.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Homer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:58 am

I let the size of wire I use for the door front dictate feeder placement height. That said all mine are 3-4" off the floor. I use a piece of scrap 2x4 at the nest box and feeders for a step for the little ones and it gives them something to chew on. Before long they become toys and begin moving around the hutch but by that time they don't need it for a step anymore. Just use scrap kiln dried lumber, never treated.

Guess it really depends on what you raise. Mine are Flemish Giants and never really use them for anything but chew toys. :lol:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
Kent

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 370.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby UFCreel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 am

With my Red New Zealand's i keep the feeders at 4 inches off the floor. When little kits are out and about i just feed them with a small crock. When the kits start to jump out of the nest box. I just turn it on its side. Easy out easy in.