Register

Found a meat processor in Alabama

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Found a meat processor in Alabama

Post Number:#1  Unread postby TheChad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am

I spent more than a few weeks trying to find someone to process my meat rabbits for me. Everyone kept giving me the same line, "We don't do rabbits". The numbers have gotten a little high for me to do on my own, without it taking a day or two. I took 18 rabbits to him Friday. I will have another group in about a month. He is going to process and debone each one at five dollars a head. I felt that was very fair. The only down side is him being an hour and a half away from me.

I will give a review and post his information after I get them back. He is also going to do some jerky for me out of the flaps. He is throwing that in at no cost. In the future there may be some associated with it.

Has anyone gone this route? Up until this point, I was doing it all myself, but my schedule and the higher numbers are pushing me this way.

18.JPG
All loaded up for a trip to freezer camp! YAY!
18.JPG (378.22 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Re: Found a meat processor in Alabama

Post Number:#2  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Oh my gosh, congrats! I have tried to find someone here to do it for me, with no luck. They say the rabbits are too small of an animal to process. I live in town, and so logistics are preventing me from doing my own, along with the fact that I simply just don't want to do that part. I feel I could, if in an emergency situation with no problem, but I just prefer to have someone else do it for me and just feed them, then cook and eat them without all the in between. Living in city limits I don't want to alert anyone to what we have going in our backyard anyway, if at all possible. Nor do I want to get a ticket or be told I have to shut down the whole operation completely. You have given me the idea to look a little farther away from home, so I will do that now. Really happy you found someone-sounds like a great price too!

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 am

I went Friday and picked up the meat. I had two big brown grocery bags full. He wrapped then up in dinner sized portions for the family. My wife loved that. I also got him to do jerky out of the rib and stomach flaps. I was amazed at how big the pieces were. He was able to keep both sides attached. He cut them up as he bagged it for me. It is pretty tough and was a bit to salty for my taste, but still good. I am very happy I did it this way. Saved me a lot of time and we are going to have way more options with the meat. He also saved a lot of the bones from deboning. That way my wife can make stock from them. I didn't ask for this, so it was a nice surprise.

Next time I may try smoking the flaps myself and seeing how I can do at making jerky. I want a sweet Korean style jerky.

If you are interested in his services, here is his information.

Carl Beville
Beville Deer Processing
Hwy 82 East
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 am

Party at Chad's!

Nice haul.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Supporter

Post Number:#5  Unread postby TheChad » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

Marinea wrote:Party at Chad's!

Nice haul.

HAHA sure come on over. I will throw some on the smoker. Haven't tried it that way, but I want too.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:21 am

Wish I lived closer, or I would for sure be doing that!