Register

mini meat & growth rate...

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,840.00

mini meat & growth rate...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Nyctra » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:10 pm

My chocolate fox is a chunky little oops mutt! Was not intended for meat, but so far she and her litter mates have shown the best growth of any litters from current bloodlines I happen to have on record...also noticeably meatier bodies too. ;)

Only 2.5lb at 8 weeks, but her parents were 5lb and 6lb. Considering parent size, does that sound like a fair growth rate? :?
Attachments
IMG_5762.jpg
IMG_5762.jpg (410.48 KiB) Viewed 1933 times

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Re: mini meat & growth rate...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Dood » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes!

Half adult size by 8 weeks is a terrific growth rate :D

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
FourRingCircus

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Sagebrush » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:11 pm

:yeahthat:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Dood wrote:Yes!

How am I just now hearing about this tid-bit? Makes total sense to get a good idea on growth rate with varying size rabbits! Thanks!

I had a smaller Dutch have a littler that passed the NZW litter that was 3 weeks older, then they tapered of while the whites kept growing. Quick little chunkers, smaller full grown size. Exactly what I was hoping for!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Nyctra » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:46 pm

FourRingCircus wrote:

How am I just now hearing about this tid-bit? Makes total sense to get a good idea on growth rate with varying size rabbits! Thanks!

It only dawned on me recently, too. :oops: Figured if a 5lb fryer was coming from 10ish pound parents, then half parent weight the soonest must give a pretty good idea of where they ought to be.

Bonus: not only have they grown much faster by comparison, these guys have been mostly fed on fodder! :P But they got picky this week and quit eating their root beds in favor of pellets, though. :slap:

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 am

Nyctra wrote:
FourRingCircus wrote:

It only dawned on me recently, too. :oops: Figured if a 5lb fryer was coming from 10ish pound parents, then half parent weight the soonest must give a pretty good idea of where they ought to be.

:slap: Such common sense! Never put two and two together...
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

BunnyBucks: 14,845.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby GBov » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Great rule of thumb! :D

Female

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Nyctra » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:09 pm

So far, I'm pretty positive this litter is outdoing most of what I've had in the past couple years. :lol:
They did go on a fodder strike at about 8 weeks old, refusing to eat their mat, but even then, they still eat 1/2 to 1/4 the amount of pellets previous litters have at this age, and I'm pretty sure are bigger than most as well. :oops: I think I like this mini rex blood. Now if only I could get him to breed the bigger does.

The chocolate fox is the biggest baby! :D You go, pretty girl!
IMG_7106-2.png
IMG_7106-2.png (518.63 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

All bucks available were lazy bums on breeding day. Factor in stubborn does, and it left this Angora x Mini Rex pair. Out of all the mix and matching, they were the only ones to get anything done. :| Figures. At least it was intentional this time. I wanted to get at least one more litter to feed my baby bunny addiction till fall, and since this litter has turned out so well and I lost my only angora buck anyway, welp. Why not. :? She palpated positive just a couple days ago, but I've been having a disappointing amount of absorbed litters recently, so time will tell if I actually get a litter.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Dood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm

:bunnyhop: :bouncy:

Look at those numbers !