Register

rabbit with flakes or scales inside top of ears

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 16.00

rabbit with flakes or scales inside top of ears

Post Number:#1  Unread postby xanthin1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:35 pm

ethel2.JPG
ethel2.JPG (248.69 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
Hi, I have raised satin meat rabbits for about two years. We live in a very remote area (nearest rabbit vet a three hour drive), so I am mostly on my own. I have dealt with ear mites before (mineral oil clears these up easy), and have had one rabbit with fur mites a few months ago which I finally got to go away with a pea size of apple flavored ivermectin (DE and 3 rounds of revolution did not work). This is something new I have not seen before. This doe is only about 5 mos old, she was separated from her litter mates about 3 weeks ago. We kept a buck from that litter also and he shows no signs of the same ear problem. The flakes are only in the top of the inside of her ears, although she does have some flakes on the fur on her sides. Could this be fur mites? The buck we had with fur mites a few months ago only had them along his back, not in his ears.

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,359.00

Re: rabbit with flakes or scales inside top of ears

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 pm

Glad to have you with us, xanthin1. :welcome:

Whether the problem is fur mites, ear mites or just scaly skin, I would give it a good coating of mineral oil or olive oil. It should loosen the scales and suffocate any little nasties lurking there.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
xanthin1

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Welcome to RT!

I had a quick reply earlier, but figured I would add a bit to it :oops:

Do you have a salt/mineral lick in the cage? It could be some residue from something like that. Or even fungal maybe?
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
xanthin1

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 16.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby xanthin1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:46 pm

I don't have a salt lick, so it can't be that. I thought it looked like it could be fungal I've just never heard of anything like that in rabbits. It has been really rainy here (Oregon coast), but she is the only one with it. I covered her ears in mineral oil and will do my normal regiment (3x3) and see how it responds, it is just so odd, I thought I would post it and see if anyone else had ever seen something like it.