Register

Nests in Colony

Alternative housing for rabbits in groups.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 188.00

Nests in Colony

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BelleVie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:37 am

To those of you who let your rabbits dig their own nests or have buried nest boxes - do you follow any of the guidelines (in traditional rabbit keeping books) for removing the nests/nest boxes once the litter is regularly going in and out of the nests? I have 3 semi-buried nest boxes but I don't want to remove the nest boxes completely because they are technically also the rabbits' dens that they decided to use as nests when the time came. I was going to take them out, clean them and put them back -- in an effort to prevent nest box eye (even though it hasn't been an issue). What are your thoughts on the issue and what do you do in your colonies?

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,185.00

Re: Nests in Colony

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:20 pm

We did not let ours dig. We built long, low rectangle boxes from plywood with a lip on the open end to stop wandering kits that were too young and used a hinged roof. Between litters we would scrape them out and throw a layer of pine pellets and a slice of straw in the end again.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 188.00

Re: Nests in Colony

Post Number:#3  Unread postby BelleVie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Ok thanks akane :D