Register

their making a mess

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 405.00

their making a mess

Post Number:#1  Unread postby bubba man » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:24 am

most of us have those little commercial feeders - what can i do so they won`t spill so much - they put their front feet in there andmove the feed around and spill soooo much

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,212.00

Re: their making a mess

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Homer » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:21 am

Raise the feeders up higher so they can't get their feet in it. I assume it's the little one doing the digging. Don't feed treats in the feeders either. Use a little bowl on the side for that. If you put something like oatmeal in their pellets say, they will dig for the goodies until there is nothing left in the feeder. :evil:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Definitely doesn't work to mix feed in them. When I fed oatmeal or oats I would alternate pellet and plain oat days for that reason. If they are digging out just a single pellet or grain I know some people have made the curve of the J feeder shallower by putting a piece of hardware cloth just below the rim. They have to eat what pokes through and can't dig down into the bottom. I'm not sure how well it work or just complicates things. Mine usually gave it up after awhile with only one thing in the feeder but I didn't keep many in single standard size wire cages and they always had hay. They mess with things far less when entertained. Pellet digging doesn't seem to be a very satisfying activity if you throw them a few chewing objects, a small amount of hay, or use pens with multiple rabbits.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 13,158.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:28 pm

meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.