Register

putting up winter feed for rabbits

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,413.00

putting up winter feed for rabbits

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rainey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Even here in 'the north country' the growing season is in full swing. Not much rain--less than 3 inches in the past 5-6 weeks. But we got in the hay we need for our goats and rabbits a week or so ago. And today (with some help from a wwoofer who's with us for a couple weeks) we bundled and hung over half of the willow we'll want for the winter. Already had cut stinging nettle and dried it last month and want to get in burdock leaves and cattails to dry before the end of this month.
Picked our first peas today and the rabbits will get the pods with their evening feed. Lots of strawberries, asparagus, shiitake, greens and radishes for us. Radish tops, kale and bolting lettuce gets fed along with other forage--clover, grass, dandelions etc.
What are you feeding rabbits now? drying for winter? enjoying from your garden on your own table?
Attachments
IMG_3918.jpg
one of the hay piles
IMG_3918.jpg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 244 times
IMG_3919.jpg
some of the willow hanging in our loft
IMG_3919.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 244 times

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
michaels4gardens, Zass

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,854.00

Re: putting up winter feed for rabbits

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Preitler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Oh my, weather was tropical the last weeks, impossible to make hay with rain every single day. It's better now, but no time since I have to work. Actually, I have a huge plastic sheet at work where I dry nettles, morning glory and clover, when it starts to rain I pull the sheet into the factory workshop.

I do small amounts at a time, since it gets spoiled by rain sometimes.

Now I feed forage, everything that doesn't look worth being dried for winter, lots of waste, doesn't matter since there's ample supply to pick the good stuff out and spoil the rest. Keeps my bunnies busy.

Not much on my table this year, stingy nettles as spinach, young dandelion as addition to potato salad, and now red current with yoghurt, rolled oats and sugar. Well, and lovage for soups, my rabbits somehow failed to destroy that.
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness, then I am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious commodity is so much misery"

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,935.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:52 am

wonderful, congrats Rainey
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,523.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am

That looks wonderful, Rainey! :)

I don't think we'll be able to afford feeding naturally any time soon (there's not much to forage in the scrubby brush that dots the hills around here, and water is expensive), but it looks like a dream! Lots of hard work, I'm sure, but I quite enjoy the little garden that I do keep and I can imagine the pride of growing so much food!

You're doing a great job, and I love seeing the updates!
:popcorn:

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,860.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Zass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Lemon balm and comfrey are my two most prolific go-tos for drying for the rabbits this time of year. For myself, the mint, oregano, basil, and rosemary are doing great. There are a few peppers already showing up in the garden, along with fresh lettuces and green onions. I also have plentiful catnip for the first time ever :love:

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,935.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 am

Zass wrote:Lemon balm and comfrey are my two most prolific go-tos for drying for the rabbits this time of year. For myself, the mint, oregano, basil, and rosemary are doing great. There are a few peppers already showing up in the garden, along with fresh lettuces and green onions. I also have plentiful catnip for the first time ever :love:

Zass, / Rainey - how well do your rabbits eat dried comfrey?? I have had mixed results feeding fresh comfrey.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,860.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

michaels4gardens wrote:
Zass wrote:Lemon balm and comfrey are my two most prolific go-tos for drying for the rabbits this time of year. For myself, the mint, oregano, basil, and rosemary are doing great. There are a few peppers already showing up in the garden, along with fresh lettuces and green onions. I also have plentiful catnip for the first time ever :love:

Zass, / Rainey - how well do your rabbits eat dried comfrey?? I have had mixed results feeding fresh comfrey.

I've had very good results with dried. I don't know if it's my comfrey, or my rabbits, but I've also had very good results with fresh. :shrug:

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 5,413.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Rainey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:54 pm

michaels4gardens wrote:Zass, / Rainey - how well do your rabbits eat dried comfrey?? I have had mixed results feeding fresh comfrey.

Sometimes our goats and chickens will eat comfrey fresh but none of our animals eat it dried. We still find it useful, adding it to our compost piles and putting in some fresh leaves around the potatoes when we hill them.

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
michaels4gardens