Register

Getting weight on rabbits?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
BunnyBucks: 205.00

Getting weight on rabbits?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Shan_non » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am

Some of our rabbits are on the lower end of weight. Especially the does coming off of nursing. They get fed 16% pellets twice a day and are outside all day on pasture. We feed all organic.
They get our vegetable scraps too. What does everyone feed their rabbits to keep healthy weight? What are the best extras for weight? We have NZW and Silver Fox.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,182.00

Re: Getting weight on rabbits?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am

I feed 16% pellets, oats and hay. It keeps the weight on my Beverens, Dutch, as Palominos fine. But I have issues with the Americans. By under wiegh do you mean skinny or under the Standard of Perfection weight requirements? I have a Champagne D'Argent buck who is not skinny, he is just small.
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 920.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby AmberRae » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Black oil sunflower seeds work great for keeping my nursing does weight up. I also use calf mana but it isn't organic.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,677.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Marinea » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Black oil sunflower seeds and some rolled oats. The oats are also a good started feed for the kits.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

BunnyBucks: 205.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Shan_non » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:07 am

I changed my feed a few days after posting this. I bought organic oats and barley. After a 2 hour drive home from the mill, I realized there was corn and soybeans in the oats.
Obviously, I didn't turn around to return it so I have been feeding it to them -though I know they are debated. At least they are organic non-gmo.
I wanted to get dried peas to add but I didn't give the mill enough notice. I'll be trying that and BOSS next time.
I'm happy to say, our rabbits have gained a healthy weight in just 2 weeks. I was nervous to switch the babies food but now that they are 8 weeks, I will slowly give it a go.