Register

fodder started, just in time

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,648.00

fodder started, just in time

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Rainey » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:06 am

I'd been worried that I was starting our wheat fodder too early because it was staying so warm and last year we had trouble with mould at the start of growing it which went away once the cold settled in. So we started feeding fodder last Thursday--that batch was a week old. Saturday the high was 67F, but Sunday morning it was 34 when we got up, snowing and blowing and the temp kept dropping through the day. This morning the snow was over the top of my son's boots and he had to put on snowpants to get out to the chickens. They'll move into winter quarters today--more light and can be reached through boiler room, woodshed, and barn without wading through snow. Card and kale are well started in the greenhouse--have been cutting some as needed for weeks. Als have lettuce and tatsoi growing there--hard to take a photo since the growing space is about 20' long and just 4' deep.
Attachments
PB210022.jpg
snowbound chicken coop
PB210022.jpg (235.27 KiB) Viewed 103 times
IMG_9759.jpg
kale and chard
IMG_9759.jpg (397.04 KiB) Viewed 105 times
IMG_9757.jpg
fodder set-up
IMG_9757.jpg (259.85 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,441.00

Re: fodder started, just in time

Post Number:#2  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Pretty! I bet that colorful chard is a sight for sore eyes with the snow covered outside!

Do you have a heated greenhouse for it? I want to grow more in the cold months, but am still figuring out how i want to set things up...
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 7, 5, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 6 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley