Register

Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 55,613.00

Re: Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Nice! I like that it handles the rinsing etc. for you. Ask them how it deals with mould problems before you invest.

Edited to add:

I wonder if one could make a homemade version of this with a rack of some kind, trays slanted so the water dribbles through one after the other and an aquarium pump to move the water. Timers aren't expensive... I think I have a couple kicking around and perhaps an aquarium pump too. Hmmm... Worth thinking about. It would be good for the rabbits, geese and chickens.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Here the website for the lady that makes them...she also sells the plans for the system for $20....

http://www.half-pinthomestead.com/

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Very cool! I hope she has much success. It is a very reasonably priced homestead sprouting system... Just more than I personally can afford. It is nice that she makes the plans available... but I think I might just wing it. MidnightCoder will be inspired if it means his Silkies can share in the output. :)

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby 3mina » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 pm

I read a post on FB yesterday about sprouting. Take a mason jar, the metal ring, window screen/cheesecloth and the seeds. Place seeds in the jar, put the screen/cheesecloth under the metal ring, rinse the seeds and place in a sunny spot. Rinse the seeds every day.

I have not tried this but I'm going to
Rex and American Sables

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,961.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Piper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 pm

These are links that I have been pinning, some have some great ideas.
- http://pinterest.com/laurall21/feeds-sprouting/
http://prismnews.weebly.com/blog.html or http://pinterest.com/laurall21/microfarms-legislation/ -- “Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
G. K. Chesterton quote

Post Number:#7  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 pm

3mina wrote:I read a post on FB yesterday about sprouting. Take a mason jar, the metal ring, window screen/cheesecloth and the seeds. Place seeds in the jar, put the screen/cheesecloth under the metal ring, rinse the seeds and place in a sunny spot. Rinse the seeds every day.

That is basically what this is 3mina, but on a much larger scale....this setup grows enough to feed 25 rabbits on a daily basis.

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby 3mina » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 pm

OneAcreFarm wrote:
3mina wrote:I read a post on FB yesterday about sprouting. Take a mason jar, the metal ring, window screen/cheesecloth and the seeds. Place seeds in the jar, put the screen/cheesecloth under the metal ring, rinse the seeds and place in a sunny spot. Rinse the seeds every day.

That is basically what this is 3mina, but on a much larger scale....this setup grows enough to feed 25 rabbits on a daily basis.

Ooohhhh.......me likey :P
Rex and American Sables

BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Miss M » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm

OneAcreFarm wrote:That is basically what this is 3mina, but on a much larger scale....this setup grows enough to feed 25 rabbits on a daily basis.

:shock: It does???

What would you sprout?
How expensive are seeds for this?
Could this and salt be all you need?

I apologize, as I obviously haven't been paying attention. But you've got my attention now!
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 am

You can use it to sprout just about any kind of grain, Miss M. Each tray takes about 2.5 pounds of grain... but the end product is more nutritious than the grain itself.

Post Number:#11  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 am

Miss M wrote:
OneAcreFarm wrote:That is basically what this is 3mina, but on a much larger scale....this setup grows enough to feed 25 rabbits on a daily basis.

:shock: It does???

What would you sprout?
How expensive are seeds for this?
Could this and salt be all you need?

I apologize, as I obviously haven't been paying attention. But you've got my attention now!

Great link with info about sprouted fodder....

http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/grow ... dder/72618

Most folks sprout wheat, oats or barley. The seeds are not that expensive, you can get a 50# bag for $10 or so at your feed store. You can feed fodder and add a mineral block and have a complete diet. Sprouting the grain raises the protein and fiber % and increases the amount of actual food by quite a bit. You feed 3-5% of the animal's body weight of fodder each day, so a 10lb rabbit would be fed 5-8oz of fodder a day. The 6 tray system makes 15lbs of fodder each day, or 240oz.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 8,226.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Frecs » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:09 am

I like her suggestion to start sprouting the larger seeds (wheat, oats, or barley) and after the root mat is form, sprinkle on smaller seeds. That way, you don't lose the small seeds through the drain holes and have a nice mix of sprouts to feed.

I cannot afford her system but I might see about setting up something workable for my small homestead...the rabbits, chickens, and ducks would all enjoy it, I think.
Tina
Not Quite There Yet Homestead & Rabbitry
http://notquitethereyethomestead.blogspot.com/

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 48,682.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby skysthelimit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 pm

That's really neat. I'd have a hard time keeping any place 60F in the wintertime.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby trinityoaks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Hmmmmm. . . Don't know whether it would work for us to go 100% to fodder, but I'm very interested.

BunnyBucks: 8,226.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Frecs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

Okay...after doing some research, here is what I have found for my situation/area:

1. TSC (Conway SC & Whiteville NC) carry whole oats at around $12-13 per 50lb bag. The only other whole grains they sale are "sweet feed" which would not work for fodder (both because of the corn and because of the molasses).
2. No other feed stores carry whole grains of any sort.
3. Mail order is extortionarily high once postage is included.
4. Through Sam's Club, I can order 50lb of whole winter wheat for a tad less than $50. This seems at the moment to be the only game in town for getting wheat to grow wheatgrass fodder.
5. Per a few websites, oat grass fodder is reasonably close in nutritional make-up to wheatgrass fodder. Does anyone know the nutritional data for fodder from wheatgrass, barleygrass, and oatgrass?

I had purchased several 10lb bags of "gourmet birdseed" from TSC which is wheat, milo, and millet. I'm going to conduct an experiment to see how well it "fodders". The bags were on sale for $5 per but normally run closer to $10. These may be a good option IF they grow into nice fodder.

Other options yet to be explored: the co-op in Wilmington and the HFS in North Myrtle Beach both have bulk organic winter wheat but that is likely to be too expensive for my purposes -- I may see if it is possible to get on their "oops" list for when grains are spilled and can't be sold to humans...

I think the best option is going to remain oatgrass supplemented with sunflower sprouts, lentil sprouts, mungbean sprouts (these are okay for rabbits, right?), and herbs and weeds and such...and the flax which they seem to be liking.
Tina
Not Quite There Yet Homestead & Rabbitry
http://notquitethereyethomestead.blogspot.com/

Next