Vienna-- clarify, please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Okay, SOMEONE, please clarify Vienna for me As in define

VM Vienna Marked - is this a rabbit with some color that CARRIES blue eyes, or HAS blue eyes?

VC IS this blue eyed, AS I am thinking Vc is the carrier- a brown eyed rabbit carying the blue eyes.

My Mixed Doe, Wilma, has Brown eyes,Has poor Dutch markings- lots of white hairs in the colored areas-- And when bred to a related rabbit, produced Blue eyed kits. WHAT do I put into the genetics program as her genotype? She is a MR-HL cross, normal fur with great flyback.

VM-vienna marked, has a white mark OR blue eye(s). It doesn't have to have blue eyes.

VC-vienna carrier, shows no sign of having the BEW gene but comes from a BEW so we know it carries it. With no blue eyes or white marking you can't tell it's a carrier except by knowing it's parents.

If a rabbit produces BEW then the rabbit carries the vienna gene. If it is not a BEW itself then it carries only one copy of the gene. Since your rabbit has other white markings it's impossible to tell if the rabbit would be a VM or called a VC. It doesn't really matter though because the genetics are the same. The rabbit is Vv a BEW carrier or split for BEW. However you want to word it.

also, I think the gray rabbit in the Rabbittalk banner is VM, right? So just a snip can count...

But my poorly marked broken kits that LOOK dutch, aren't VM, because there is NO vienna parentage...hey, wait a minute! I used my mutt buck on them, who knows what they are, maybe they ARE vienna marked!! :shock:

But probably not... :lol:

They are freezer babies, but dang they are cute. Almost makes me want to abandon my purebred plans...almost.

okay- So Wilma is Vienna marked--IF she has a solid colored kit, it could be VC. Now I know what to put on the pedigree under the genome.

Latest posts

Back