Vetch experts?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
do we have any?

is all vetch related?
is it all rabbit safe?

the wonderful folks who lived in our place before we bought it planted Crown Vetch - which looks very much like what I know as field vetch though the flowers are a darker purple - it is INVASIVE - holey moley but if I could feed it to the rabbits I could get rid of it and feel a little better about my mad killing ramapages
Securigera varia is the latin name of what grows in my garden

input welcomed ... either way ;)

Don't know about crown vetch, but when I was a kid, I used to eat the flowers of purple vetch with no ill effects! :lol: Don't ask me why. :?

my replies to this keep vanishing - weirdness

the garden vetch from africa is TOXIC

I posted links and everything - :(

thanks for inspiring me to look though - turns out they aren't really related though they sure look alike ;)

that Maggie I've fed to my buns with no ill effects. Didn't know what it was, but now I do. :)

don't know about other kinds.

I have Crown Vetch in my yard but it is reported toxic to horses. Here is the information I have:

Common Name: Crown Vetch

Scientific Name: Coronilla varia L.

Crown vetch is a member of the Pea or Fabaceae family. This low growing vine is commonly used throughout the United States for erosion control, roadside planting and soil rehabilitation. Crown vetch is toxic to horses because of the presence of nitroglycosides. If consumed in large amounts, it can cause slow growth, paralysis, or death.

no I'm looking at pictures - my vetch (in the garden) has purple flowers - the african stuff keeps saying pink flowers - anybody with crown vetch have purple flowers?

if this stuff turns out to be common vetch we have enough vetch for 10 years for you adn me maggie

i have field vetch (aka hairy vetch I think) in the hay fields - i'll try to bring you some just for fun :)

I can identify common vetch if you bring some over. Used to get tangled in that stuff all the time when I was a little kid. :)

I've never seen crown vetch except with pink flowers.

Don't forget... I still have a bunch of miscellaneous flower seeds for you, Brody.

Back