Vet Care

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmorgens

Reaction score
I'm new to breeding and I am quickly acquiring new rabbits. Before breeding, we just had the usual pets, two cats, a bird, etc.

Now that we have many rabbits, I'm wondering what other people do when they want to treat the entire herd... An office visit is $80 per pet... multiply that by 20 rabbits.. YIKES!!!! Is there such as thing as a farm vet? Right now, I want to treat/prevent Coccidiosis, but it seems the meds of choice, Albon, Sulmet, require a prescription.

Aside from that, if I use Corid, can that be used on kits who are about 11 weeks old?

Thanks!!!

Yes, the office visit is high, so unless you really need to I would hold off on taking all of the rabbits in. As a matter of fact, I would only take in the ones that really need professional medical intervention. Otherwise there are plenty of good rabbit folks here that can help with almost all rabbit related things. As for the corid, I would wait until they are at least 16 weeks. There is an alternative however. I got the below text from Medirabbit.com
"Branches and leaves rich in tannin (willow, hazelnut, oak, ash, fruit trees, eventually pines) are excellent in preventing coccidiosis. Before a rabbit is given a twig to chew, it is important to check that it’s picked from a tree that is not toxic to rabbits. Furthermore, the tree must not have been exposed to chemicals or pollution from busy roads."

we do it ourselves, lol. there's plenty of resources on medications you can get over the counter to treat most ailments that strike rabbits. you have to be prepared to give injections and oral treatments and euthanize yourself if necessary, even if the rabbit in question is a tiny kit.

most of us try to stick with more natural remedies for our bunnies, so it's not all drugs and needles. there's tons of medicinal plants that can be given - there's a big thread here on the forum about it. for treating and preventing cocci, planst in the onion family are used to great effect. chives, green onions, leeks, and wild onions that you find in your yard (provided you don't spray,) are great choices. i think someone here bought some property that had a history of cocci, and they gave their rabbits and chickens onion tops every couple of months as prevention.

Thanks. Onion tops... any particular kind of onion. I have nothing in my backyard, but I am happy to go to the grocery store to buy what they need.

I use the natural method. I try and get chives, but if they don't have them I use green onions. I do a handful the width of a quarter, and repeat a weak later.

Latest posts

Back