Very Sad

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
I bought a lovely French Angora buck in February of this year. He started to have some eye problems a month later and I gave him some antibiotics and it cleared up. Now it is back with a vengeance and the vet was tell me its probable pasteurella. I am really attached to him so I started treating him again but yesterday he sneezed and there was white snot. Well I have no choice now I have to cull him. I am so sad cause I love this buck so much. I am worried about the other rabbits in the herd. Especially the kits I have right now. I don't need more sick rabbits it just breaks my heart to cull them.

I'm so sorry. Just keep an eye on the kits, if you keep your bucks in seperate cages when not breeding the others might not have been exposed enough to catch it.

Well this rabbit is very lucky. I quarantined him in the house and was waiting for another person to cull him. I can't since I am way too attached. He stopped having symptoms and since I am already dealing with a loss of another rabbit he is happily living in the house. He is never going to be around the herd again but is currently asymptomatic in the house. Will allow him to live for now pending no bad symptoms. Very lucky rabbit. Bad me I got way too attached and cannot seem to cull him. Putting the herd in danger. Sigh I hate being so compassionate and sensitive sometimes.

Well good for him that he's asymptomatic right now. Maybe you'll be able to pop a doe with him a minute or 2 and get a falloff without too much risk of contamination?

I would ask a vet if he is still a carrier even if he is symptom free. Also ask if just holding him and then holding another rabbit in the same clothes could contaminate another rabbit. This stuff is just so contagous and better safe than sorry.

Back