Very Content Rabbit or Sick

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyHare

Reaction score
I'll probably be shuffling off to a corner to lick my ego but I have a question. I'm new and I have seen my rabbits asleep or relaxed on their sides. When I go to feed them - They will peek at me until the water and food is served then slowly wake up. (Sometimes - Other times I think they are wolves, LOL) Anyway a few nights ago - My Californian Doe -(She is approx. 2 years old - I think - no paperwork received) was on her back ; legs in the air and eyes shut. I said her name and shook the cage gently - nothing! I thought - Great I lost my big baby! I opened the cage - Nothing. I reached in and touched her belly - She gently opened her eyes and closed them - Again I rubbed her side - This time she rolled towards me - After three or so minutes of rubbing = She jumps up and slowly walks to the water bottle- Like nothing occured. I've examined her after and Watched for sickness - Nothing. Do rabbits sleep on their backs? Could this be a sign of sickness or something I'm missing? Just spoiled and don't worry? Thanks for any input - I'm just trying to protect her and the herd (only 27) from anything that I can help.

Hey Kentuckyhare,
I cannot tell you how many times I have
walked through the rabbitry while feeding and watering
and caught my breath as I saw what I perceived to be
one of my favorite rabbits laying DEAD in it's cage.
I just had to touch her and she either groggily
looked at me as if to say "I'm resting, leave me alone".
Others when touched have quickly sprung to life
as if they had suddenly awakened from a deep sleep.
I don't believe there is a problem, each rabbit has their
own little idiosyncrasy's.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I agree... nothing to worry about unless there are other signs of illness such as not eating, drinking, pooping etc.

I've seen the same thing with my rabbits, but it is usually the bucks here. I think, if anything, that it is a sign that the rabbits feel very safe and secure.

You might enjoy this just-for-fun thread about the many things bunnies do to drive us crazy. :)

games-bunnies-play-t1122.html

Oh boy I have a couple that do that, it stops the heart everytime you see them belly up.

My rabbits are huge fans of doing the "death flop" (you know the jump/roll/sleep) whenever we have visitors in the rabbitry. It's always entertaining to see people stare and ask "Did that rabbit just die?"

I watched my buck do a "death flop" the other day. Very convincing. Several of my rabbit do this type of thing. I was working in the garage a month ago and I had my new Flemish buck in there because it was getting very warm outside (over 100) and he did not have a mister installed. I literally took my eyes off him for maybe 10 or 15 seconds to make a measurement and then looked at him again and he was rolled over like he was dead. Even kicked the cage and he just layed there. When I opened the door he lifted his head and was like, "Yes?"
When ever I go to purchase new stock it seems like all the other owners have a few rabbits that like to play dead so I am guessing it is fairly common behavior, although I am not sure why they do it. Originally I thought it was because they were getting to hot, but I've seen them do it when it was cool fall weather. So I don't know.

Back