Very angry with my tan!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olimpia

Reaction score
Ah I feel like it's nothing but trouble for me no matter what I do.
These two girls were born on Friday, day 30, with 2 other siblings who were dead.
The size difference has been there this whole time, it's hard to tell with the photos but one is half the size of the other.
The smaller one, I have to wipe off poop from it because mom can't seem to, but it also has sores on its hind legs (maybe hard to see?) that look like its feet were bleeding from being licked constantly.
This doe is extremely neurotic for us.. this morning she escaped her cage from my mom and the dog had a good run around with her and terrified her. She was horrible in a 2x2 cage, so I moved her to a 4x2 (hare sized- note this breed was supposed to be something smaller so I could have more of them). The sides are made of the green plastic coated hardware cloth and she has chewed off a lot of the plastic, she will scratch the walls of her cage and bite them.. toys she has no interested in.. the buck is the same way as well but he is a bit more friendly, but still obsessed with trying to get out.
I've tried helping the small one feed but she flung it off, I can't hold her down.
The worst part is now she obsessively hay-stacheing every speck of hay she can find in her cage and packing it onto them, there is definitely too much hay in the box, and almost no fur. I don't really know what to make of her behaviour but I'm concerned for this smaller kit, I worry if I split the litter it might get too cold. :(

I'm very angry at this point because this is my first litter that I was going to be able to put something on a table to show, and one of the kits looks awful already... how hard is it to raise two babies???
I'm not really sure what my question is here if I have one, I just don't understand what her problem is

DSC02115_zpsvxxtlwes.jpg

DSC02116_zps1po8kioj.jpg

tans are a running breed, that means they like to be busy doing stuff.

if this is her fist litter she's just being a busy nut and should settle.

if it's warm out the kits will be fine. They both look like they have been fed. She's just being a busy worrywart. once the hormones dissipate she'll settle down and her next litter should go smoother.

BUT all this said.. tans are a running breed and need room to move, many keep them in solid bottomed cages and take them out daily for runs up and down a table, Keeping them fit and busy to keep them settled.

These guys already have 4ft of space to move as it is. I'm pretty sure the ones I bought had never had as much freedom as they do now haha, I highly doubt that too many breeders will give a 4lb rabbit 8 square feet to live in (seems like 2x2 is standard). They definitely were not socialized when I bought them, not that I've put much more effort into doing it, I was hoping to get babies and move on. The male is constantly rocketing out of my arms, he does like to be let out on the patio. But even if I do let him out he'll still obsessively want to get out.
The female I haven't let out since she had the babies though. Even with one of those standard round pens though it never seemed like enough space for them to move. I can let my hares run the entire yard freely but that's because I know I can catch them after. I have plans to build an aviary where I could let them roam but that will be later in the summer.
I threw some fur from my meat doe into her cage, she picked it up and it stimulated her to pull more of her own fur and she mixed it and packed it onto them, so there's that at least aha..

-- Wed May 25, 2016 7:53 am --

DSC02126_zpscfxmuqix.jpg

DSC02127_zpsud2sw3lu.jpg

The size difference continues to grow. Ahh I'm not sure if I should just give up on the little one or not. It was out on its own today all cold when I came in.

The little one passed away :(

Back