very aggressive bunnys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie

Reaction score
I have been raising thrianta rabbits for about two years. The are considerably more aggressive than any other rabbits I have raised. When I walk by their cage they run towards me and growl. Some have scratched when I reach in and one did bite me. Does with babies are even more testy. Has anyone experienced this behavior or do I have a grumpy bunch.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hmmm... I have never had experience with the breed. I don't think I've heard of them being aggressive. All you can do really is cull for better temperaments or find sweeter stock. I wouldn't tolerate a biter but I'll tolerate a "talker". I have my little cousins and family (that will take care of my rabbits when I'm at shows) that I can't have getting bitten. The occasional bite does happen if you have pee or something on your arm. I'll be forgiving if it's out of the norm, but if it is the nature of the rabbit, then it's dinner. I hope you get things worked out with them! Do not get discouraged. My first Mini Lop was a psycho! Had to just get the stock elsewhere to get the perfect temperment :)

Hi Willie, I would suggest 2 things ... wean the litters at 4 weeks, and remove them to a cage or pen where they can get extra socializing. I actually set up an indoor corral so that I can walk by and pick up a baby and handle it throughout the day. Standoffish, aggressive behavior is a learned behavior and you can break that cycle with intensive handling/socializing the kits where they are not influenced by adult's behavior. And they do learn a lot by observation!

Back