Register

vermicomposting (worm beds) using RabbitPoo!

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,684.00

Re: vermicomposting (worm beds) using RabbitPoo!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Truckinguy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I bought my first pound of worms from her along with my original worm bin. That has now grown into seven worm bins and growing, all descended from that first pound of worms.

Also, I made a couple of experimental wire "baskets" for my poo pans to catch the poo pellets before they fall into the pan. I've added these pellets to my worm bins in the last few days and the worms are all over them. Makes a big difference if the poop never comes into contact with urine in the first place. Now I have an all new cage to design!!

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

So....other than world dairy expo, and Dairy Cow expo...why is everything interesting in either Ontario, BC, or Down South?

sigh

BunnyBucks: 125.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Half Caper Farm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Ok, who wants to go to a worm workshop? :lol: I wouldn't mind going.

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,313.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 pm

They have so many cool herbs and other plants at Richters too... don't forget to check those out when you're there.

BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Can anyone tell me where is Goodwood exactly?

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,313.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Goodwood is near Stouffville, Lauren.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&source ... a=N&tab=wl

BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:13 pm

OHHH Ok not that far from me. Thanks!

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Brody » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:31 pm

ohhhhhhhh I know Goodwood ... :)

cool
thanks
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Aileen » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Ummm...newbie here...so you are doing this because worm poop is superior to rabbit poop????
Aileen
AKA Magnificent Madame at HT

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Brody » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:09 pm

rabbit poop is good too - worm castings are the QUEEN of compost though ;)
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Kyah » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 am

Ummm...newbie here...so you are doing this because worm poop is superior to rabbit poop????

As far as using worm and rabbit manure to grow plants, the comparison of the two is like comparing an apple with a squash. Both are good for you nutritionally, but contain different vitamins and minerals.

If you look at worm compost for example, it is full of beneficial mesophilic bacteria, fungi and microbes, but more importantly it contains plant growth regulators and hormones, most notably auxins. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.vermiculture.ca/transform/worm_castings.htm

I've made different kinds of vermicompost, and the best I've used by far was made with rabbit manure, wood shavings, and shredded newspaper. :)
When it's all processed, I remove the worms and mix it with potting soil to start seeds with. It's wonderful stuff.
I had my worm castings tested by a lab a few years ago. I'll see if I can scan and copy and post it for you. It was really interesting...

When I move the little seedlings outside to the garden, I use a few handfuls of worm compost in the planting hole, a big handful of leaves, and top dress with rabbit manure. But I also throw a lot of everything else onto and into the soil too though. Old hay, straw, grass clippings, egg shells, composted hen poop. It's all good food for the soil's micro life. I like to think they like a little variety in their diet too. :)

-Kyah

Site Supporter
Canada

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Truckinguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 pm

I thought I would post this as a point of interest. I have some worm bins in the basement and will add more as time goes on. They are doing very well and are packed with worms. I had an eight week old kit die in the cage, I think it fell off the shelf and broke it's neck, so I buried it in the worm bin that seemed the most packed with worms. That was two Saturdays ago (April 20) and at this point the head is basically down to the skull although the rest of it is still there, although shrunken. There is no smell as the kit is completely covered and when I opened the lid it just smelled like damp earth as usual. When I uncovered it to check there was some smell but not bad. Scarlett also had a litter of four this past Saturday that didn't make it and they are buried in some of the other bins.

Anyway, I just thought it might be of interest to some. We're told not to put meat and dairy products in the worm bins but it's all fine if it's buried properly. The eight week old kit was a bit big but I wanted to experiment and see how it would do. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks to see how it breaks down.

Happy composting!

BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby trinityoaks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

I have just one question: WHERE DO YOU GET THE WORMS?

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 pm

trinityoaks wrote:I have just one question: WHERE DO YOU GET THE WORMS?

You order them from a vermicomposting person or business :) (or you ask Kyah how much she charges to mail them out :) ) There are quite a few hits if you google "vermicomposting worms" Now that I think of it, we even have a business here in Madison. At least one.

hmm...I think I'll check craigslist.....

Site Supporter
Canada

Post Number:#30  Unread postby Truckinguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm

I bought a pound five years ago from a lady in Bradford which is about an hour away from me. These worms are all descendants of that first pound. If you have an old pile of leaves on your property you can dig under them and likely find a bunch of worms. Doesn't take long for them to multiply!

PreviousNext