Vermicomposting Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Forever now, I've been threatening to get some worm beds started under the cages. The worms are super spendy, and until all of my cages are permenantly situated, I didn't want to fork out the cash.

Today, our homeschooling group met at the OSU garden. They have four HUGE vermicomposting bins and an older woman working in them. I started talking to her and she gave me about a gallon of the compost with worms (tons and tons) for free.

So, anyhow, I came home and drilled holes in a rubbermaid tub for drainage and air, added newspaper and some rabbit poop and wet it slightly. Then I put the worms and compost over that and covered with some more shredded newspaper and dampened that some. Does this sound right? Any suggestions? How much poop can I add? The woman that was there told me that they couldn't survive with rabbit poop (too hot), but I know that they can. My issue now is the ratio of newspaper, poop, and water and if I need to add anything else (lol, a balanced diet). Any advice would be appreciated!

in a bin you need to watch the urine content of the poop. I think (not sure) the people rinse the urine off...or at least well drain it.

Oops, I didn't see it, but headed over. Perfect! Thanks!

I rinse my urine out in the small winter worm bin ... in my main composter (loaded with earthworms) I don't and they seem fine but they have quite a few choices for meal time ;)

pfaubush":9sr5m73n said:
So, anyhow, I came home and drilled holes in a rubbermaid tub for drainage and air, added newspaper and some rabbit poop and wet it slightly. Then I put the worms and compost over that and covered with some more shredded newspaper and dampened that some. Does this sound right? Any suggestions? How much poop can I add? The woman that was there told me that they couldn't survive with rabbit poop (too hot), but I know that they can. My issue now is the ratio of newspaper, poop, and water and if I need to add anything else (lol, a balanced diet). Any advice would be appreciated!

As I'm sure you found out, the thread suggested has oodles of good info! I feed my worms nothing but bunny balls (and a bit of hay/straw that got mixed in) and the worms thrive on it. I do soak and drain the manure first; it helps with the decomposing so it doesn't heat up as much (I think) and it dilutes the any urine. I keep my worm bins in our cold room and I haven't yet had an issue of the bin warming up too much but I do keep a close eye on it after adding new manure. The worms will tell you when they need food, there's none left! They say a pound of worms will eat 1/2 pound of food a day. My big bin that holds approx. 1 1/2 pounds of worms eats more than that. I give them rabbit manure from two 6 rabbits and assorted litters (up to 24 kits)every third day. I don't used shredded newspaper, I use dead leaves I've soaked and drain and I seem to get more worm eggs which means more worms. As far as ratio goes, I have 6 - 8 inches of bedding, then 2 - 4 inches of manure and another 3 - 4 inches of bedding. I do rotate the leaves from top to bottom when I feed the worms if I notice the bottom a litter wetter than I like, the top dries out faster. I am not an expert by any means but I do have a labal for vermiculture on my blog if youwould like to read about my successes and failures. Here is the link to my latest entry on the worms.
http://wwwmindwanderings.blogspot.com/2 ... tings.html
Good luck!

Back