Vent Disease or Hutch Burn

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelw114

Reaction score
[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment]

I have a 5 1/2 month old Holland Lop doe. Yesterday, I was doing my weekly health checks on my rabbits and noticed that she has a red spot on her vent. If I touch it she flinches. She has never been bred. Does this look like vent disease or hutch burn? Could she even get vent disease since she's never been bred?

Hopefully the attached photo is visible.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 838
Did you apply some sort if ointment to it?

If not it looks like she has some sort of discharge and I would suspect a vaginal or uterine infection

It could also be early stage of vent disease and the virus has not yet formed a growth

And yes, she could get vent disease without being bred. Mothers can pass it to offspring and rabbits can pass it to each other from close contact. The virus can cause infection and ulceration on the nose and mouth due to rabbits grooming their reproductive area and from eating their cecotropes

No ointment but I did think she had a discharge last time I checked her. She also had some fecal smears on her fur. Since I trimmed her up down there and clipped off the matted fur a few days ago she has looked much better. I'm still a bit unsure about that red raw spot though.

Latest posts

Back