Using the KBtattoo pen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Tom

Reaction score
Well, I just got my new KBtat pen and was so excited to use it. It took me way longer than using a clamp style and I didn't do a very good job. The first time I wiped the excess ink away all I had were red out lines where the ink should have been. So I went back over the red marks and it was a little better but, I didn't get a nice dark line. I'm not sure how hard to push and I don't get how the ink is supposed to flow out the needles. I know I am doing something wrong, I just don't know what. I stopped after doing two rabbits as I felt I was hurting them more than I should be. I didn't use any thing to numb the area, like Orajel, and I'll try that tomorrow.

You have to frequently dip your needles in the ink.
You can practice on a citrus fruit to get a feel for your pressure and how frequently you will have to dip it before applying it to a rabbits ear.

Make sure the pen is running too when you dip it so the ink is pulled up into the tube. It's not that the ink flows out the needles but that the needles are supposed to penetrate the skin while covered in ink.

It also helps to put something down first for a kind of lubricant to the the ink to penetrate the skin as well, such as petroleum jelly or vitamin A and D ointment (what most human tattoo shops use). I also put this on too after the tat is done to help it heal well. As far as depth, for humans, you aim for 3-4 of the seven layers of skin for permanency, which equates to a out the same depth as a quarter is thick. I'm sure rabbits are similar, and I use this principle. You shouldn't have to press hard so long as your getting that depth, just set the pen and write with it like you would a normal pen. The motor will do the work of pushing the needles into the skin.

Back