Register

Using a Rabbit Wringer, Hopper Popper, etc

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 750.00

Re: Using a Rabbit Wringer

Post Number:#16  Unread postby UK-backyardbunnies » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Those who have seen/held one of these - do you think a metal boot jack would be the right size/shape?
Two silver marten sisters, and one standard rex buck Don't even ask! in a colony in pens somewhere in the shed, naturally fed (ish) and breeding for the kitchen!

(No connection to the website with a similar name)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,649.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Demamma » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

No if it is what I think then the crook would need to be longer. I am not sure what you are refuting to.
[album][url=http://rabbittalk.com/gallery/image.2290[/album]

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 750.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby UK-backyardbunnies » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 am

Something like this, but they come in different sizes and don't all have that rounded hole in the "V".
Two silver marten sisters, and one standard rex buck Don't even ask! in a colony in pens somewhere in the shed, naturally fed (ish) and breeding for the kitchen!

(No connection to the website with a similar name)

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby 3mina » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 am

If the board wasn't so thick it'd work well
Rex and American Sables

The following user would like to thank 3mina for this post
UK-backyardbunnies

BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby lithiumflower9 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:53 am

I love my wringer. Works great. Thanks for posting the video.

BunnyBucks: 165.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby yankee'n'moxie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am

Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started. :)

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Wow! I just watched the videos and that is super quick and easy! :P
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 32,450.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Dood » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started

I had my cousin the welder put one togeather for me. I showed him pictures, gave him dimensions and the website address if he needed more info.

BunnyBucks: 320.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Ralph » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 am

If you back the rabbit in to the wringer then turn them sideways before pulling it works better. Going in backwards you don't get the feet in. Also if you got some scrap angle iron and steel bars a wringer is easy to build and much cheaper.
Ralph's Rabbit Ranch

The following user would like to thank Ralph for this post
OneAcreFarm

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:50 am

Ralph wrote:If you back the rabbit in to the wringer then turn them sideways before pulling it works better. Going in backwards you don't get the feet in. Also if you got some scrap angle iron and steel bars a wringer is easy to build and much cheaper.

That is a good tip, Ralph! I will try that next time. Also, unless you have the tools and know how to weld, it isn't cheaper or easier... :)

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Ralph » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 am

Sorry not thinking. I grew up with welders and tool and scrap iron around. Just butchered 8 this weekend. Found two of the does preg. So holding the other 8 does (raised in a colony)for a month to see if if we have more. :o . Let you know later.
Ralph's Rabbit Ranch

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Post Number:#27  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 am

yankee'n'moxie wrote:Has anyone ever had any luck finding a rabbit wringer used? I am looking into meat rabbits, and this is the way that I want to butcher, but they are so expensive! Trying to figure out exactly how much it would cost to get started. :)

I cannot imagine EVER selling my Wringer for any reason, so I doubt you could find one used...there is a mild steel version called the Wrangler that you will have to seal with some kind of metal sealant...that one is about $40.

Use this link, go the the Online Store I page, then scroll down about halfway and you will see it there.

There is also a less expensive device that works just as well, The Hopper Popper. Use thislink to find it.

Post Number:#28  Unread postby Ralph » Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 pm

I use a homemade wringer also. Found if you slide the rabbit in backwards then turn them to the side you have less problem with getting the frount feet in the way.
Ralph's Rabbit Ranch

Post Number:#29  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Mon May 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Ralph wrote:I use a homemade wringer also. Found if you slide the rabbit in backwards then turn them to the side you have less problem with getting the frount feet in the way.

Yep, it does work much better that way and I have since started doing it just that way... :)

BunnyBucks: 6,712.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby Cottie » Wed May 15, 2013 3:30 pm

How do you bleed them afterward? May be a dumb question. We've only done chickens with the knock-out-chop-head method so far. I'm kind of dreading the first rabbit slaughtering.
The poster formerly known as RJ

PreviousNext