Urinary problems?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybreakscraps

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a female Netherland dwarf that was spayed 2 months ago. She has done really good up until the last wk or so. When I pick her up her back feet are wet and her bottom is wet from urine. I'm worried she may have a UTI although she drinks and eats fine and does not seem to be in any kind of distress. What is even weirder is I had a Dutch bun that did the same thing after she was spayed and I wonder if this is just something that occurs in females?? Anyone know? I know humans experience incontinence sometimes after hysterectomies so I wonder if buns might as well. Other than that I see a vet visit in my very near future.

TIA,
Dawn (mom to 2 house bunnies)

Do you have urine guards or solid foot relief, usually that happens because they are peeing on something and getting splashed.

I was thinkin' the same thing. Do you have her on wire or is it a solid bottomed cage? If its a wire bottom and she is still soiling herself it could be that she has lost some bladder control and may be "going" while she is on her side, asleep, therby getting it on her fur.

It's very common in spayed dogs. They have medications for it but I don't know if they are tested in rabbits or if any vet would be knowledgeable enough to prescribe something. For some reason we always have to medicate our shiba for a month after her vaccinations because she'll start leaking urine while asleep and having accidents on her way out the door.

Yes its called Spay Incontinence and its something that can occur a lot! Something that's NEVER talked about when one is being urged to spay an animal... I now have to deal with it in one of my dogs although I never realized there were drugs for it, are they expensive akane?

Spay incontinence is triggered by the lack of / imbalance in certain female hormones. Yes maggie-- it is one of the MANY things not discussed when making the spay/neuter decision... Did you know male dogs have a much higher cancer risk after neutering than they do beforehand? And all the vets will say is-- it is 100% successful in preventing testicular cancer -- DUH!!! Female caner risks go up when they are made artificially sterile- breast cancer risks are higher in women who have not breast fed their children---
loys of hidden stuff we dont get told about///

Latest posts

Back