Urgent question, please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoRed

Reaction score
I just posted this in Chat also.

I am just outside of the Florence impact zone. We will finish boarding up the hutches soon. My 2 females just kindled Wednesday. 1 has 7 kits, the other has 1. I think I should put 2 of the first’s kits in with the second. For warmth and such. the single kit feels cooler than the nest of 7. Is this a good idea, with the storm coming? Stress? Both are good mothers, but the mother of 7 is better. Put the single in with her? We will wait until the last moment to close the hutches up.

Fostering kits is a good idea even when the weather isn't unfavorable, in my opinion. I had a doe in our last round of breeding before summer that had a single kit, so I gave her 3 kits from another litter... and she did great! I think it helped with her milk supply, as well, because a single kit may not be able to drink all she has to offer, so there's an increased risk of mastitis. So by all means, I say go for it and add 2-3 kits to the single now. If possible, maybe take out the nest box and handle all the kits, so when they are returned to mama they all smell kind of the same.

I hope you stay safe out there with the hurricane weather and flooding, and best of luck to the baby buns!

I agree with Nymph. Put 3 in with the single one. Singletons chances of survival are not very good. Like said, it will be better for the mamma too.

Be safe with that nasty storm on top of you. :)

@ Homer and @ Nymphadora;

Thank you for your advice. Momma #2 seems to be happy with the new additions. I hate that I had only a couple of hours to monitor, but when I looked everyone was snuggled in and she was happily munching her treat.

We have wrapped up the hutches against the wind and rain. The bottoms are open.

Latest posts

Back