Register

Urgent question, please!

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
1 year of membership
Posts: 18
Joined: April 8, 2017
United States of America
Thanks: 8
Thanked: 1 in 1 post
BunnyBucks: 106.00

Urgent question, please!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby TornadoRed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am


I just posted this in Chat also.

I am just outside of the Florence impact zone. We will finish boarding up the hutches soon. My 2 females just kindled Wednesday. 1 has 7 kits, the other has 1. I think I should put 2 of the first’s kits in with the second. For warmth and such. the single kit feels cooler than the nest of 7. Is this a good idea, with the storm coming? Stress? Both are good mothers, but the mother of 7 is better. Put the single in with her? We will wait until the last moment to close the hutches up.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 810
Joined: May 2, 2016
Location: California, US
United States of America
Thanks: 386
Thanked: 189 in 158 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,998.00

Re: Urgent question, please!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Nymphadora » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:20 am


Fostering kits is a good idea even when the weather isn't unfavorable, in my opinion. I had a doe in our last round of breeding before summer that had a single kit, so I gave her 3 kits from another litter... and she did great! I think it helped with her milk supply, as well, because a single kit may not be able to drink all she has to offer, so there's an increased risk of mastitis. So by all means, I say go for it and add 2-3 kits to the single now. If possible, maybe take out the nest box and handle all the kits, so when they are returned to mama they all smell kind of the same.

I hope you stay safe out there with the hurricane weather and flooding, and best of luck to the baby buns!

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
michaels4gardens, TornadoRed

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1754
Joined: November 30, 2013
Location: Pueblo, CO
United States of America Male
Thanks: 271
Thanked: 460 in 382 posts
BunnyBucks: 9,915.00

Re: Urgent question, please!

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Homer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 am


I agree with Nymph. Put 3 in with the single one. Singletons chances of survival are not very good. Like said, it will be better for the mamma too.

Be safe with that nasty storm on top of you. :)
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
TornadoRed

1 year of membership
Posts: 18
Joined: April 8, 2017
United States of America
Thanks: 8
Thanked: 1 in 1 post
BunnyBucks: 106.00

Re: Urgent question, please!

Post Number:#4  Unread postby TornadoRed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm


@ Homer and @ Nymphadora;

Thank you for your advice. Momma #2 seems to be happy with the new additions. I hate that I had only a couple of hours to monitor, but when I looked everyone was snuggled in and she was happily munching her treat.

We have wrapped up the hutches against the wind and rain. The bottoms are open.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests